Need DV AVI codec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need DV AVI codec

I'm cutting a quick clip on my laptop and one of the files doesn't work right in Premier.

I've converted it to uncompressed, which fixes the problem, but the file is to big now (8.6GB for 5 minutes)... I need to convert it back to DV AVI, but don't have a codec on my laptop. Where can I get one?
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Found this...
    Free & Fast Downloads for Adaptec DVSoft codec 1.11: download the latest versions of Adaptec DVSoft codec
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

That old Adaptec DV codec is one of the worst ever created.

I'd just load the uncompressed file to the Premiere timeline then Export/Movie. Once you get the dialog enter Settings/Video and set the filetype as DV (NTSC). This will use the DV codec already installed in Windows as part of DirectX.

Poof!

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 October 2005, 16:42.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Doc is right, but you could give a try to panasonic's dv codec as well
        Codecs.com | Download Panasonic DV Codec : Panasonic DV Codec allows you to play and import DV-AVI Type-2 files. It works perfect with VirtualDub
        mits,
        System specs: primary : Asus P5B Dlx/Wifi, C2Duo E6600 with thermalright 120 and 120mm Scythe S-Flex
        model E, 2 Gb Ram Kingston HyperX PC6400, MSI RX1950Pro with ViVo, 2 * WD3200AAKS, Sound Blaster Audigy ES, NIC onborad, IEE1394 TI onboard, dvd-rw Nec/Sony Optiarc AD-7173A, dvd-rom Pioneer 106-s, Win XP SP2. Secondary : Asus P4B266-E, P4 2GHz (Northwood), ram 512 MB DDR400 , 2*80 Maxtor, vga asus 9600XT with vivo, sound card c-media 8738 onboard, NIC D-Link 538TX, dvd-rw sony dru500AX, cd-rw yamaha 2100E, Win2k SP4.

Comment

I captured the video using Windows Movie Maker as that is all I had at the time...

Subsiquently installed Premier to edit the video... found it captured as Type 1 DV (having googled the odd error message in Premier). So I got the converter tool and converted it to Type 2 (along with another video) and found that only 1 would display correctly in Premier.

So I opened the bad file in TMPGEnc 3 and didn't have a DV encoder... So I exported as uncompressed and found that while Premier could see the file fine, my laptop's drive was not up to 30MB/s transfer needed to play the file back. Premier did not show a DV encoder to output the file with either... so I needed a codec.

I installed the Adaptec codec and used TMPGEnc to reencode the file as DV. Video was fine (as it was only web output, quality wasn't an issue so I didn't pay much attention although would say there wasn't anything noticably bad...) Only problem was the audio track was silent, as this track was only being used for occasional cuts it just made it a little harder to match the video.

So the whole process went something like this:
          Capture -> WMP (Type 1 DV)
          Type 1 DV -> Type 2 DV (bad)
          Type 2 DV -> Uncompressed
          Installed DV codec
          Uncompressed -> Type 2 DV
          And took about 5 hours for 4 minutes of video...

Now that I've got premier on the laptop I can use that in the future for capture in an emergency.

Originally posted by mits
          Doc is right, but you could give a try to panasonic's dv codec as well
          http://www.free-codecs.com/download...ic_DV_Codec.htm
          Unfortunately, as far as I could see, the panasonic codec is only for decompression... but I'm gonna try the others and see what works.

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          That old Adaptec DV codec is one of the worst ever created.

I'd just load the uncompressed file to the Premiere timeline then Export/Movie. Once you get the dialog enter Settings/Video and set the filetype as DV (NTSC). This will use the DV codec already installed in Windows as part of DirectX.

Poof!

Dr. Mordrid
          I'm gonna look at that now... I did look, but couldn't find DV as an option (I think I may have tried the wrong export option).. Will look now.

Comment

Working...
          X