Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMSP 8 Capture Problem

Hi Folks,

I have been using the capture module in UMSP 8 and noticed that while I move the mouse frames will start dropping.

I do not have similar problems with WinDVR 3

Capture Settings: MPEG 2, 720 X 576 (PAL DVD), Dolby Sound

System:
    Asus P4S8X-X MOBO
    P4 2 GHz
    512 Mb DDR
    Asus (Radeon chip) 9600XT Capture/Display Card

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

MSP8 has a much larger resource/memory footprint than WinDVR, so putting any extra load on it isn't IMO the best idea in the world. Bottom line: don't touch anything furing captures until you're ready to hit the ESC button to stop the capture.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

That's exactly what I have been doing Doc. but it's rarther annoying that the least movment will cause frames to drop.

Comment

Whoa, Debbie.

You are capturing, I presume, DV footage which you are transcoding into MPEG. You don't mention your settings, but this is EXTREMELY resource-intensive, especially if you try to choose high bitrates, because everything has to be done in real time. IMHO, it is MUCH better to capture as a DV type 1 with no frame drops, which is not a resource-intensive operation, and then to encode to DVD-compliant MPEG-2 at your leisure. This will allow more flexibility and higher quality, as you are no longer restricted to real-time encoding. In addition, you can edit the footage without quality loss.

BTW, do you mean real frame drops or irregularities in the preview window? If the former, then reducing your bitrates somewhat will probably cure the problem.

Another point: in MSP8 there are two ways of capturing. If you are using the integrated VE capture, try the VC module. This demands fewer overheads.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Brian,

Thanks for your reply. I am capturing straight MPEG-2 at 8000 kbps. Yes Bri real frame drops. I shall try the VC module and see how it goes.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X