X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toasty PC Anyone?

G'day all.
    Had to share this one...

My partners pc had a charring moment... seems the power supply decided to go out in a puff of smoke and do a little murder/suicide in the process...
    The damage:-
    About 2 square inches of power supply PCB charrred - Dead...
    Video card has blown diode, main gpu chip and a charred track - Dead...
    CD-RW Drive has charred regulator chip - Dead...
    80Gb Hard drive has a charred chip with melted legs (see pic below) - Dead...
    (I don't believe that data is coming back to us... tried swapping pcb - nada)...

NFI on motherboard/cpu/ram... it gave life but not going to even test it futher... time to do a total rebuild of new pc... Just as well I had my old NF2 mobo with a AMD XP 2000+ ready to go into it... just had to purchase the rest...

That's all for now!

(edit - added psu pic)
    --
    Radan.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Radan; 9 October 2005, 05:53.
    ---
    "Are we there yet?"

Ouch , which brand of psu was it?
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

G'day.

The psu is basically a no-name brand, came with the case, about 2 years old...
      label says (MCM Switching Power Supply Model: LC-300)

Added the pic to the 1st post of the PSU PCB for show

Ta.
      Radan.
      ---
      "Are we there yet?"

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Was there are power surge that caused this?
        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

look at the bright side.. it did not catch your house on fire

I did manage to get asus to fix a motherboard under warrenty, where the power plug had charred pretty bad... rma the parts and see if they fix them.. just play innocent and say you did not know they had burned
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey
            Sorry to hear that. Was there are power surge that caused this?
            The PC went pop at power on, so there was nothing running at the time as such.

WD in oz used to be really good, i cooked more then one HD and had them replace it, but that was 10 years ago, it shoud still be covered (yes, i know more then is posted here) but I don't know WD's current replacement rules.

from memory the rest of the pc is far beyond the warenty period. sadly down in Oz, everything is either generic, or costs you a kidney to buy. hence the no name PSU et al
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Radan
              (I don't believe that data is coming back to us... tried swapping pcb - nada)...
              The PCBs aren't necessarily interchangable these days, even in the same models.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder how much juice the power supply decided to shove out on the +12v rail.

Comment

G'day,

Claymonkey: No surge, just an unfortunate glitch in a cheap psu, such is life...

tjalfe: House fire would be bad, luckily there was someone present to smell (and see) smoke so shut the power off at the wall... RMA? honestly not worth the A$80 (US$50) to replace it...

Wombat: Yeah, noticed... had same model but different revision, so wasn't overly hopefull... but I have gotten away with the trick before so was worth a try...

Ryan: Seeing the damage, damn close to the 240V mains power I'd say

Chrono_Wanderer: Umm, yes, but we do these things sometimes... again, such is life... like making backups of data (not done in this case...) "The burned hand teaches best." ... or the burned pc in this case

---
                  "Are we there yet?"

Comment

Working...
                  X