LCD TV 1366 x 768 - ok for hdtv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD TV 1366 x 768 - ok for hdtv?

I'm considering the Hitachi 32" LCD TV ( http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/D...?productid=432 ) which has a dvi input, which I'll drive from my HTPC's DVI output (currently a 9250 VIVO but that will probably change).

My question is the set does not claim it is HDTV ready, but it's big brother the 7200 does (for another £500), but as I will be using the PC I should be ok, right? If I want to watch a HD source when they become available, presumably a DVD or DVB-T tuner card will be fine, and if we are talking satellite or cable, they could go via the PC's s-video input?

Or am I wrong?

My current TV only have a few hours life left...

TIA

T.
    FT.

It should, assuming your video card can generate the resolution and timings that the panel is looking for. I'm not sure why it doesn't claim HDTV ready, unless it means that its scalar can't accept a 720p input. I didn't see anything on that website talking about what resolutions and refresh rates the display accepts, so just be careful.

Comment

Yep it's not ceritfied as HDTV as it does not support HDMI (HDCP). The DVI input is PC only.

Comment

Thanks Guys. I'm a lot more clued up now than when I posted that.

I think LCD is the way to go, just not really sure I'm happy to pay such a premium for 'HD READY' at the moment. Looking in the main retailers today there is a massive difference in display quality between models.

My head says get the old TV fixed and wait until next year...my heart says get the 7200 version of the Hitachi, which gets very good reviews indeed.
        Last edited by Fat Tone; 9 October 2005, 11:53.
        FT.

Comment

I have a Viewsonic N3200W that I'm very happy with.
          UK linkage

Comment

I'm taking quite a shine to the LG 32LX2R, HD-R, 1200:1, 1366*768, PIP, 8ms, £950. Only downside I can see is no iDTV, but that's no real biggie.
            FT.

Comment

I think by the time my 10-y old Sony gives up I'll still buy a CRT-TV, WS this time, they are sooooooo darn cheap nowadays!
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

G'day,

I might put my 2c in here too...

I bought myself a Samsung 32" LCD a few weeks back (got near cost price but still darn expensive --A$3500 / US$ 2500).

Mega nice picture, full HD with HDMI & DVI & DB15(VGA)... res is 1280x768 and is soo sweet as a pc monitor (had some me time with it ) but is very nice all round with tv/cable/dvd

possibly best electronics purchase I've made in a long time

ok, said'n'done.
                ta..
                --
                Radan.
                ---
                "Are we there yet?"

Comment

tomshardware has done a bunch of reviews on LCD tv's, pretty indepth
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Thanks. They did a review of 4 26/27" models a couple of weeks ago, with a promise of 30/32" reviews coming soon. Some food for thought when comparing models
                    FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                      If I want to watch a HD source when they become available, presumably a DVD or DVB-T tuner card will be fine, and if we are talking satellite or cable, they could go via the PC's s-video input?

Or am I wrong?
                      Just thought I'd pop in to mention that you can't do HD over s-video. There's currently no way to get an HD cable or sattelite signal into an HTPC that I'm aware of, unless the decoder box has a firewire output of the raw signal (pretty rare).
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

HD dvb-s card, I think twinhan does one amongst others

Comment

Working...
                        X