Nobel Peace Prize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nobel Peace Prize

The selection committee have surpassed themselves this year by choosing the IAEA and Dr. el Baradei as co-laureates out of nearly 200 proposals. This organisation and its boss-man have done more for promoting the peaceful use of nuclear fission energy and demoting the weaponry use of it (without belligerent sabre-rattling) than anyone and, IMO, they are well-deserving of the award.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Yes, this is much better than last year...

Comment

I really wanted to comment on this but I didn't want to be seen as picking a fight.

I have a lot to say on this issue, but I'll summarize with: "giving it to El Baradei and the IAEA is premature."

To me, it's like when Bush landed on that aircraft carrier with the big sign that read "Mission Accomplished". I think that there's a lot more tough work ahead. It's not time for congratulations yet.

At least Bono didn't get it.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

IMO giving any award to the UN outside of its humanitarian relief agencies is a waste, and even those agencies reps have been damaged by recent reports of sexual abuse of locals.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

You could say that any Peace prize is premature until all conflicts have ended

Nobody can deny that the IAEA has greatly helped the process, even if it is still ongoing. But, there again, many Nobel Peace Prize laureates have been awarded it during an ongoing process, e.g., 1974, 1976, 1978, 1985, 1988, 1989 etc., just to take a few where the laureates or their successors have been struggling to attain peace for more than 15 years and are still doing so.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Any body that would give a peace prize to a two-faced terrorist thug like Yasser Arafat automatically strips themselves of all credibility.

Comment

AMEN to that!!

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

This is probably going to surprise some people but I don't begrudge him getting the prize.

Oslo was a big deal after all. He did promise to renounce terrorism and violence.

I just think that they should have repealed the award once it became obvious that he didn't intend to live up to any of his commitments.

Comment

If they were not a bunch of naive nutless nonentities, spoiled by living sheltered lives in their overcivilized little world, they would not have been clueless enough to give him the prize in the first place.

Comment

Israel, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, war on terror, wot, antiSemitism, anti-semitism, Democracy, clash of civilizations, Western Democracy, Jihadis, dhimmi, Islamofascist, Islamofascism, Nazi, Fascist, Aliya, Yiddish, Hebrew, Israelite, Maronite, Yaakov Kirschen, Jerry Kirschen, Gerald Kirschen, Kirschen, Arab, Jews, Zionist, zionism, Jewish Greeting Cards, Rosh Hashana cards, Jewish New Year, war, Ahmadinejad, Nasrallah, Hizbullah, Hezbollah, Zionist, zion, Jew, Jewish, humor, funny, joke, jokes, cartoon, cartoons, israeli, neocon, peace, peace process, PLO, PA, road map, Oslo, Oslo accords, camp David, Clinton, Kissinger, terror, terrorism, war on terror, neocon, Syria, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Jordan, Libya, Lybia, Africa, african, Asia, Asian, Saudi Arabia, Hamas, middle east, mideast, palestine, arabs, islam, jihad, jihadi, jihadist, Islamofascist, Islamofascism, Danish cartoons, Muhammed cartoons, moslem, muslim, mohammed, Muhammed, Koran, Quran, Qu'ran, Kosher, Kashrut, Halacha, cartoons, comics, editorial cartoon, editorial cartoons, political cartoon, political cartoons, Jewish, Judaism, Jewish, jew, Jew, jewish blog, Jewish blog, dry bones, Dry Bones, Dry Bones Blog, dry bones blog, dry bones comic, Dry Bones Cartoon, Dry Bones comic strip, dry bones strip, jewish comic strip, jewish humor, jewish jokes, Jews, jews, judaism, Judaism, Israel, Israeli, Israeli comic strip, Israeli humor, kirschen, Kirshen, jerry kirschen, yaakov kirschen, yakov kirschen, yacov kirschen, blogger, blogspot, Jewish blog, jew blog, jewish blogger, herzliya, jew, jewish, judaica, anti-Semite, antisemite, anti-Semitism, antisemitism, aliya, Aliyah, Herzl, Arab. Arabs, Purim, Yom Kippur, Yom HaAtzmaut, Israel Day, Patriotic, patriotism, Passover, Pessah, hag, haj, festival, God, G-d, Judeo-Christian, prophecy, Bible, Biblical, Bush, George W, Republican, Democrat, Kadima, politics, Oscar, Hollywood, Tel Aviv, Gaza, terror bombing, bombing, suicide bombing, homicide bombing, sbarro, Zion, Zionism, temple, Temple Mount,

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                      If they were not a bunch of naive nutless nonentities, spoiled by living sheltered lives in their overcivilized little world, they would not have been clueless enough to give him the prize in the first place.
                      IMO, this is BS. At the time it was a great thing to happen. To say that that decision was nutless, IMO, shows a complete nonunderstanding of what it meant. With hindsight, sure, it turned out bad (and I do agree that it should have been revoked later).
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I somehow thought you would react this way.. and in my mind that just confirms my original thoughts.

I understand COMPLETELY what it meant.. it meant that those who voted this for him had the combined wisdom of a flea. HERE is what happened:

Mass Murderer: "I renounce violence!"

Naive council of Eurotwits: "OOOHHH, oh-kay! Isn't that wonderful? Life is turning out just like those little girl books I loved so much as a child! I think we should bestow the world's most prestigous humanitarian award (at that time it was, anyway) on this man!! Isn't he wonderful? I know he has blown up hundreds of children, and lied through his teeth more times than can possibly be counted, but he just SAID he would be good now!! OOOHHH, isn't it just peachy?"

Grow up.

Comment

Alright, I apologize for the use of the term "Eurotwit," but it's just so euphonious.

Europe certainly doesn't have any monopoly on twits.. I mean, look at our last president. He did a lot worse than look silly and have it bite him in the ass.. his free trade agreements have practically destroyed the middle class in the US. He refused to act against AQ.. etc etc.

I know GWB is a twit on the first count, too.. but at least he fought back against AQ.

Comment

The prize was not meant for saints. It was meant for people who did most to further peace. At the time, this is what most people thought they did. I think it is a good thing that the prize is sometimes given to people who have shown to be able to leave their dogma's which were universal and eternal truths just an hour before. It's not like declerc has never supported apartheid and mandela never supported armed action.

BTW, you may call me Eurotwit if it helps you in any way. I prefer "social-liberal atheist" though if you don't mind. It helps me, for instance, to think of you as someone who would denounce the prize given to declerc as he has destroyed a precious culture by ending apartheid.
                            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Peace.. is there more or less in SA now that apartheid is ended? Hmm?

Let's not overlook crime rates.. low crime is peace, high crime is not.

Comment

Working...
                              X