Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual-core/Multi-processor/HyperThreading WinXP SP2 fix.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual-core/Multi-processor/HyperThreading WinXP SP2 fix.

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Apparently the way WinXP moves processes around a multi-processor (whether true or virtual) can cause performance hits to any CPU intesive task ... namely gaming. This patch plus reg fix supposedly fixes the problem. If you do not have resources to download the hotfix and need it, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Wonder if anyone has before/after benchmarks for this?

Good find.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
      http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256

Apparently the way WinXP moves processes around a multi-processor (whether true or virtual) can cause performance hits to any CPU intesive task ... namely gaming. This patch plus reg fix supposedly fixes the problem. If you do not have resources to download the hotfix and need it, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Jammrock
      the problem specifically ties into systems that can enable ACPI clock throttling, where Windows runs the chance of doing things like moving a thread to a processor that is running slower than the current one, etc.
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Where is the link to download the hotfix???????

I clicked on the link posted by Jammrock, but All it talks about is stuff about the fix and not wher to download the hotfix from.

What's up?

I can certainly benefit from this since I am running a Dual XEON 3.4Ghz with Hyperthreading enabled.

Thanks,
        Elie

Comment

Actually I found it on the HP website
          But it pertains to video and graphics for Dual Processor with Hyperthreading.

Thanks again guys!

Regards,
          Elie

Comment

Anybody know if the patch is available for download?
            I'm running a Supermicro X5DA8 (dual Xeon Prestonia), but the patch doesn't appear to be on the Supermicro site....

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I did a little searching and found the following link for you

You have to tweak the registry, according to Microsoft KB article, after you install it.

Comment

Its more for dual core , but anyways the procedure is to phone MS and quote the article number and then they will give you the download location...its free but since its a beta/test hotfix they seem to want to keep a treack on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SitFlyer
                  I did a little searching and found the following link for you

You have to tweak the registry, according to Microsoft KB article, after you install it.
                  Cool, thanks!

Multimediaman: Well, the KB article does mention all multi processor and hyperthreading systems also...

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

to my knowledge no multicore system can tune core speeds independantly yet. about the only thing current multicore processors would get out of it is support for processor wide clock scaling without the need for hacks.
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                      Cool, thanks!

Multimediaman: Well, the KB article does mention all multi processor and hyperthreading systems also...

Jörg
                      The patch is for multi-processor, mulit-core and hyperthreaded systems.

Installed it at home a few days ago, seems to be working great. Popped up the frame rate in HL2 and it's very solid. Haven't done any before and after benchmarking, but general game playing seems a tad smoother.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                      X