Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andromeda Strain & The Thing: miniseries

The Sci Fi channel is definitely bringing out the big guns;

Variety reports that the Sci Fi Channel has signed Ridley Scott to executive produce and supervise a four-hour TV mini-series remake of the 1971 thriller "The Andromeda Strain", whilst they're putting Frank Darabont in charge of a four-hour remake of the classic horror "The Thing".

Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Robert Schenkkan is writing the adaptation of "The Andromeda Strain" based on Michael Crichton's famous novel about a group of scientists who gather at an underground facility to destroy a virus from the upper reaches of the atmosphere that has killed the inhabitants of a small town in New Mexico. The four hour runtime will give Scott & co. more time to explore the characters and the situation they find themselves in.

David Johnson is working on the script of "The Thing," based on the short story "Who Goes There" by John W. Campbell Jr and most famously adapted in 1982 by John Carpenter. The tale is of an alien parasite, which can take over the mind and body of a human being, causing havoc on a military compound isolated at the tip of the South Pole. Johnson should complete his adaptation by Christmas and shooting could get under way next year for an airdate on Sci Fi of either December 2005 or early spring 2006.

Scott and Darabont join an already bulging roster of Hollywood players working on projects for Sci Fi, including Steven Spielberg ("Nine Lives"), Martin Scorsese ("The Twelve"), Gale Anne Hurd ("Red Mars"), Nicolas Cage ("Dresden Files") and Bryan Singer and Dean Devlin ("The Triangle").
    Martin Scorsese is doing a SciFi channel movie with The Twelve?

The Twelve: SCI FI has announced that Martin Scorsese will produce their new miniseries The Twelve. Set against the twelve days of Christmas, a rash of mysterious and unexplainable events are reported around the world. As fear and confusion spread, FBI Special Agent John Ferguson discovers that these catastrophes perfectly mirror biblical predictions that suggest the world is coming to an end. And if the prophecies are true, Armageddon is set for the twelfth day of Christmas.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 October 2005, 08:10.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

What ARE the twelve days of Christmas, exactly? The MacKenzie brothers failed to figure it out...
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Christmas and the 11 days after. The Magi supposedly arrived on the 12th day.

Comment

Wow. Definitely some interesting news. I'm a big fan of Crichton's novels and I thoroughly enjoyed "The Andromeda Strain"; however, the once trendy visual direction of the original film adaptation just didn't do it for me by the time I saw it, and I of course was left wanting more of what the novel offered (which seems to be a problem with any film adaptations of his works). Hopefully, given an updated visual direction and more screen time to work with, this latest will at the least be entertaining.

A remake of "The Thing" might be good as well. The last film adaptation featuring Kurt Russell is still relatively recent and I admit, I have fond memories of it, so it should be worth watching just to see what this new adaptation brings to the screen, again, with more screen time.

The Sci-Fi channel is an odd beast. On one hand they have wonderfully done shows like "Battlestar Galactica" and on the other, cheap B-movies like "Raptor Island". It works for them though, and if it helps them in obtaining some new quality shows then cheers to them. Just please, not another giant snake movie
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Christ don't remind me about their bad made-for-tv movies. Oh, and their "miniseries". Y'know, last time I checked, 2 parts doesn't a miniseries make. And don't get me STARTED on how much they ass****ed "Earthsea".
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

You didn't like the Battlestar Galactica pilot, Farscape: Peacekeeper War and Taken?

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
              You didn't like the Battlestar Galactica pilot, Farscape: Peacekeeper War and Taken?

Dr. Mordrid
              No no. THOSE are GOOD made-for-tv movies. But "Dragon Hunter", "Earthsea", and "Demon Invasion"... not so much.

Comment

Working...
              X