Another English/math question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another English/math question...

And another question for the English speaking mathematiciens in here...

I'm looking for the English term of what in Dutch is: 'het verloop van een functie'. The problem is I don't know how to explain which word I'm looking for, but perhaps my ideas might help.
    Currently, my guess is it is either the the course of a function or the path of a function.
    Is this a correct terminology?

Just as an example : 'the ... of a function is increasing' (of course, one could simply say the function is increasing, but is there a noun that could be used here ?)

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Trend? Tendency?
    FT.

Comment

Trend and tendecy seem to hint at some asymptotic behaviour...
      I'm looking for a word that describes what the function does globally...
      (silly, it is so simple if you know the Dutch word... )

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Direction or Development??
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

the range of values a function is called "Range" whilst the range of values for which the function is valid is called "domain".
          It's not "Limits" I suppose.

In limits we say, " as X tends to infinity, (Function) tends to (some value)"

Can you give more info? is the Fucntion continious? etc.
          can you give an example? write out the function and a little graph or something
          Last edited by GuchiGuh; 4 October 2005, 10:02.

Comment

Slope. I believe the word you are looking for is "slope".
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

rate of change?
              FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                rate of change?
                Also Known As... slope.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

hehe.
                  FT.

Comment

Quite a number of ideas, but not what I mean (I know all the words already suggested).

It is more a general 'way the function looks', or 'the way the function values change when moving along the X-axis'.

The story is: I have a fully parametric, quadratic equation (basically, the inversion of the difference of two integrals of lineair functions ). I was thinking of a word describing what I'm looking for (in Dutch: 'verloop') in order to match the shape of my function with known types of quadratic functions For instance in ax^2+bx+c=0, the influence of the sign of 'a' or 'b' or 'c' in the 'overal shape' of a standard quadratic equation; slope is too limited (you can't consider a change of 'c' to yield a change of slope; nor can you say that for two function where a=1 and a=1.1 the slope is similar, yet their 'verloop' is similar). But shape is appearing to be a possible alternative.......

But it is beginning to sound like there is no English word for the Dutch word 'verloop'.

Jörg
                    Last edited by VJ; 4 October 2005, 11:36.
                    pixar

Comment

outline? shape? envelope?
                      FT.

Comment

Not sounding like anything we know of.

Well, the word to describe the overall shape is "Graph". That might be it.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                          Quite a number of ideas, but not what I mean (I know all the words already suggested).

It is more a general 'way the function looks', or 'the way the function values change when moving along the X-axis'.

The story is: I have a fully parametric, quadratic equation (basically, the inversion of the difference of two integrals of lineair functions ). I was thinking of a word describing what I'm looking for (in Dutch: 'verloop') in order to match the shape of my function with known types of quadratic functions For instance in ax^2+bx+c=0, the influence of the sign of 'a' or 'b' or 'c' in the 'overal shape' of a standard quadratic equation; slope is too limited (you can't consider a change of 'c' to yield a change of slope; nor can you say that for two function where a=1 and a=1.1 the slope is similar, yet their 'verloop' is similar). But shape is appearing to be a possible alternative.......

But it is beginning to sound like there is no English word for the Dutch word 'verloop'.

Jörg

I think the word u are digging for is "Polynominal". A polynominal equation has rational co-efficients "a", "b", "c", etc. Polynominals "come" in different sizes. 2nd order polynominal is ax^2+bx+c=0, 3rd order is ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0, 4th order is ax^4+bx^3+cx^2+dx+e=0 and so on. Usually I identify my relationships as "linear" ,"exponential" or "Polynominal of Nth Degree Order".
                          If you are talking about shape, then yes, it is shape or "it resembles graphical similarities to an exponential function", for example!
                          Last edited by GuchiGuh; 4 October 2005, 16:45.

Comment

Sounds like you're describing gradient, concavity, and inflection?

Here's an example graph discussed in English.
                            PinkMonkey.com-Free Online Calculus StudyGuide -The World's largest source of Free Booknotes/Literature summaries. Hundreds of titles online for FREE 24 hours a day.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Path sound about right to me.
                              Last edited by Marshmallowman; 4 October 2005, 18:01.

Comment

Working...
                              X