Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another Computer Purchasing Thread

Hi, all.

I'm putting together a "big" computer (finally), and thought I'd run my selections and options through the MURC filter

This will be a dual Opteron system (obvious from the MB choices), running Linux (2.6.x). I will probably have a Windows (2000, since I have no desire to buy XP) installation on VMWare as well.

So - the big issues are Linux drivers and stability. Stability and data security are definitely more important than speed, since this will become my main work machine. This will be a workstation, so I'll probably stick to IDE/SATA drives. I'll be doing some high quantity / high res image processing, and the cost for high capacity SCSI is a bit too high IMO.

So - here's the hardware I'm looking at:
    Motherboard: Tyan K8WE (S2895A2NRF), $426. Possible alternate is the Asus K8N-DL ($187). I like the 1000MHz HT speed on the Asus, but I like the fact that the Tyan supports dual-channel RAM and NUMA (which I would assume provides some benefits under Linux). Of course, NUMA may not be worth the $240 price difference. Other recommendations are appreciated.

Processors: Dual Opteron 244 ($187). Possibly the 246 ($234) if the price comes down a little. At some point, I would expect to upgrade to dual-core processors, but they're too expensive for now. The 244 is below the knee of the price/performance curve, the 246 is just over it (roughly a 20% increase in cost, for a 10% increase in clock, and probably only 3% in actual speed) It looks like the "Troy" core is the first with 1 GHz FSB and SSE3 (other than the dual-cores), so it may behoove me to wait for that, since my main application is imaging.

Memory: 4x Corsair XMS PC3200 1G (CM72SD1024RLP-3200). 3-3-3-6 timing, so I might be able to find something faster, but for $136 each, I think these are probably a good deal. Thinking about it, I'm not sure that any 1G registered ECC DIMMs will get much faster without costing exponentially more.

Hard Drive: Maxtor MaxLine III 250G/16MB buffer ($108) (or 300G, depending on pricing when I actually hit the "submit" button). StorageReview picked this as the fastest desktop drive around. I'm not sure if the Linux usage patterns are closer to a server, even if the machine is used as a workstation.

DVD recorder: Not sure exactly which one to choose. I've seen people liking the Plextors and Pioneers. Open to suggestions - the main thing is that I'd like to be able to record basically every format: CDR/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVR+R/RW, DL, etc.

I'd like to be able to get a QID/HR256 or similar card - my triple 19" CRTs @ 1280x1024 are getting cramped I may have to settle for dual high res LCDs - something like the 20" 1600x1200 ones that are in the $550 range. I'm not sure if I'll reuse my Parhelia or get some NVidia card. I'm not too concerned about 3D FPS, and since I'll be using DVI + LCDs, image quality shouldn't be a big issue. Does anyone know if you can install dual Parhelias and get 4 or 6 monitors out of the deal (on Linux, remember)? I'd imagine a 2x2 arrangement of 20" LCDs would be enough, and I can grow into that later.

As for a case - I'll just find something in the right price range ($70-$150) - I already have a couple of Soyo Raptor 400W power supplies - I'd assume that one of those will be OK, and if not, I'll jump straight to a PC Power&Cooling supply. If anyone has some favorite case, let me know.

Thanks for any info
    - Steve

I have a LG GSA-4163B and it really performs well. It´s one of the cheapest burners you can find, it burns everything I have here around without a hitch, since verbatin 16x +R, TDK 8x +R, BASF/Emtec 4x -R... Much better than my Sony DRU-700U, that can be extremely picky with the DVD media...

Oh, and it supports DVD-RAM too, you won´t find a more compatible burner than this.

Comment

The supermiro h8DCE is a pretty good dual opteron nforce 4 board.
      2x 940 sockets supports dual core
      2x PCI-Ex 16x
      2x PCI-Ex 4x
      3x PCI
      8x dimms
      8x SATA(NV RAID)
      2x IDE
      4x USB
      2x 1Gb LAN

Comment

have a look at these forums, they have 2 opteron sections. You should find them handy no matter what board you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
          The supermiro h8DCE is a pretty good dual opteron nforce 4 board.
          2x 940 sockets supports dual core
          2x PCI-Ex 16x
          2x PCI-Ex 4x
          3x PCI
          8x dimms
          8x SATA(NV RAID)
          2x IDE
          4x USB
          2x 1Gb LAN

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/moth...orce/H8DCE.cfm
          Cool! I didn't realize that SuperMicro had started making AMD boards. They still aren't visible on the SuperMicro website (in fact, their search doesn't even return anything for H8DCE). The only thing missing is 1394, but that's easily remedied for $30 or less.

Also - thanks for that forum link - there's a lot of useful info there.

@Chrono: RPC-1 is the ability to write region-free DVDs, correct? If so, then I definitely want that.

Does anyone have any experience with the Plextor PX716A or PX716SA?
          Also, there are several LG models that are similar to Nuno's GSA-4163 (the 4166 and 4167). Other than LightScribe on the 4166, I can't see any difference between the 4166 and 4167 (except for the fact that the 4166 is actually available for purchase).

Thanks for all the info
          - Steve

Comment

One little note with any nforce 4 based motherboard, the latest couple of releases of drivers(6.66) have broken the hardware firewall, so whe you install the nforce 4 driver pack say No to installing the nvidia access manager/firewall as it causes a lot of corruption when downloading.

The workaround is setting Active armor to 'not offloadable' in the NAM(network access manager).

Hopefully by the time you buy there will be an updated set of driver without this problem(8.xx) , because it would be nice to use the inbuilt hardware firewall instead of software to save a bit of cpu utilisation.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
              One little note with any nforce 4 based motherboard, the latest couple of releases of drivers(6.66) have broken the hardware firewall, so whe you install the nforce 4 driver pack say No to installing the nvidia access manager/firewall as it causes a lot of corruption when downloading.

The workaround is setting Active armor to 'not offloadable' in the NAM(network access manager).

Hopefully by the time you buy there will be an updated set of driver without this problem(8.xx) , because it would be nice to use the inbuilt hardware firewall instead of software to save a bit of cpu utilisation.
              This is a Windows-only driver issue, no? Do they actually have ActiveArmor for Linux?

I'm just bummed because there are no inexpensive Troy (E4 stepping) processors in the retail pipe - only the 250 and higher, which are $420 or more each.

- Steve

Comment

Yup I just bought one of the older CPU's a 246 cg. They are the latest I could find in OZ, I hate to think how long I will have to wait until I can get a pair of E4's, without blowing $$ on 252's

The firewall is a windows driver thing, apparently earlier versions and some leaked later beata's(8.x) work ok. Remember this is just the harware offloading of some firewall functions , both Gbit NIC work fine without it. But it can screw you around if you are not aware of it

Comment

What I finally ordered

Here's what I ended up ordering. I haven't gotten monitors yet - I can't decide between a couple of 2405FPW off eBay, or a couple of Princeton 20-inch 1600x1200 LCDs from Costco ($550 including DVI cable).

SuperMicro H8DCE motherboard
                  Two Opteron 244 CPUs (I couldn't justify the cost of the new Troy versions. I'll wait a while for the price to come down, then upgrade)
                  4G Corsair registered ECC PC3200 DDR RAM
                  LeadTek 6800GT 256M PCIE video with dual DVI (refurb at NewEgg - $220)
                  Maxtor MaxLine III 300G SATA drive, 16M cache
                  Plextor PX-716SA/SW DVD-R/RW/(everything else) SATA
                  Mitsumi floppy / memory card reader combo
                  SuperMicro CSE-743T-645 case w/645W power supply (found a refurb at NewEgg, $304)
                  SIIG pci express FireWire card

Total cost (without monitors, but including 2-day shipping): $2226.24

Not bad overall, as long as I can get everything to work under Linux

Thanks for the recommendations
                  - Steve

Comment

Well your base system and video card should work well under linux, mine is runnig suse 10 without a problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X