No announcement yet.

What do you think about this Sony LCD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about this Sony LCD?

Sony SDM-HX75S/B

Floating Wing design
    Viewable area: 17"
    Screen technology: X-black
    Response time: 8 ms
    Maximum resolution: 1280 x 1024
    Contrast ratio: 600:1
    Brightness: 420 cd / m²
    Pixel pitch (W x H): 0,264 x 0.264 mm
    Viewing angles (horizontal - vertical): 160° - 160°
    Analogue / digital inputs: 2 x HD15 + 1 x DVI-D
    Intelligent Eco-Mode
    Audio output: integrated speakers with SRS WOW Surround System (2 x 3 W)

I have SDM-S71R for some time now and I´m very pleased with its performance (16ms). This SDM-HX75S/B would be my primary monitor, and the older LCD would take the place of an old CRT Samtron 96P, who´s slowing dying on me.

The specs on this new Sony sound awsome and the price isn´t too bad: €369,00

I really can´t find any reviews about it. So what do you think, it´s as good as it seems or should I stay away from it?

Response time is one of those specs that's a toss up. I wouldn't get too excited until someone's actually reviewed it.

The contrast ratio and brightness are only adequate.

It might look stylish, but given those specs, I'd want to see one in person before I bought one.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

"adequate"? My S71R has 500:1 contrast, 260 cd/m2 brightness, and I thought it was pretty good - well that was 2 years ago, actually...

Anyway, any ideas where to get reviews of this?

Comment

Sony monitors are generally high quality and you can't go wrong with their consistently stylish and functional design. But those specs really aren't that fantastic - 8ms is old news.

Like schosef says, you can't judge the monitor on specs alone. You gotta see it for yourself and if you really want, do what reviewers do, use monitor benchmarking programs. If you want the best, there are easily other manufacturers to consider. But if you're easily pleased, a Sony package DEFINITELY won't dissappoint. Btw, you might wanna make sure that their Zero Pixel policy applies for that model before you buy.
        View my profile on Linkedin

Comment

Originally posted by Nuno
          "adequate"? My S71R has 500:1 contrast, 260 cd/m2 brightness, and I thought it was pretty good - well that was 2 years ago, actually...
          FWIW, my Eizo L568 has:
          - 1280 x 1024 native resolution
          - 1000:1 contrast ratio
          - 250 cd/m² brightness
          - 178° viewing angles
          - Digital/analog inputs

The 160° viewing angle of the Sony seems not *that* much to me... Also, it doesn't seem to be rotatable into portrait mode (can be convenient, depending on you usage).

If you intend to use it in a stretched desktop configuration with a CRT display, be sure to check the input frequency. My Eizo doesn't go that high, and in stretched mode (using DVI and VGA), the refresh rates are locked; yielding an uncomfortably low refresh rate on the CRT.

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Those viewing angle numbers are silly anyway. At the maximum angle they spec, the contrast ratio is down to 10:1, so its not like anybody is going to view the monitor from there or be able to actually see anything either.

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
              Those viewing angle numbers are silly anyway. At the maximum angle they spec, the contrast ratio is down to 10:1, so its not like anybody is going to view the monitor from there or be able to actually see anything either.
              True... but if the maximum number is low, you have less of a possible (useful) viewing angle.

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Ok, I actually went for it, so here´s my review

I looked at the monitor on the store and I liked what I saw. Much better at home, it´s a shame how bad the signal in computer stores is to show up the displays.

0 pixel defects. Ok, I demanded at the store to look at the monitor I was buying

I think it´s an excelent buy for the money, and all I was expecting. Bright, crisp, uniform lighting. Very responsive, noticeably faster than my old 16ms Sony. Opening a folder with a few icons and slowly dragging it around the screen, or slowly scrolling a web page still are the best tests I know. Next to the older brother, the SDM-71R, it makes it look completely outdated.

It has 4 screen presets, PC, Movie, Game or Auto. Due to its high brightness (420 cd / m²) it´s very good for TV/DVD, but it´s not pratical to use on the desktop, so just press one button and there you go.

DVI is completly crisp, but strangely, the RGB input is very good too. It´s very difficult to say it´s worse. Of course the Radeon X800pro analog signal is actually that good at 1280x1024, so the results may vary with the video card (of course). I´m actually running it on RGB, because I need my primary monitor to be on the secondary head (long story some threads below), and when connecting a DVI cable, without the dongle, it becomes the primary head. I actually didn´t know it. Anyone knows how to make the DVI head the "Radeon X800pro secondary" ?

So I actually recommend it to anyone who is considering buying a 17" LCD on the 350-400€ range. You won´t be disapointed.

Comment

Looks nice

nice monitor - although when are they going to bring out a 1600x1200 19 incher!

Comment

Originally posted by Job
                    nice monitor - although when are they going to bring out a 1600x1200 19 incher!
                    IMHO, dual monitor is the way to go. Having two 1280x1024 desktops is far more functional than one big 1600x1200.

Of course, one can argue about two 19" 1600x1200 desktops...

Comment

Working...
                    X