USB 2.0 PCI Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 2.0 PCI Cards

WHY!?!?!?! I can't find a single card online or in local stores that has an internal header. They ALL have internal plugs. I don't need a plug I need a header so I can move the front case ports from the motherboard to the card. Can anyone explain why they stopped putting headers on the cards? Most of them just a year ago had headers AND plugs if they had a plug.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

How about this?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Don't think that's exactly what he's looking for, but that may be the only solution. I've never seen a case header on a PCI card before I suppose you could get that cable, or similar, and cut the connector off and manually wire it into your case header. Just solder the bare wire to make it a little stiff and plug it into the female case header... then a little electrical tape to keep it in place.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

VJ thanks for the link.

Jam - yeah I thought of that but I hate going ghetto in a case if I don't have to.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Hey, what's wrong with ghetto case mods?

Comment

Well for MY system it would be fine. This is for the computer I just gave my sister though. It has a K7S5A MB and I wanted a USB 2.0 card so she can get the full speed when connecting to her MP3 player.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey
              Well for MY system it would be fine. This is for the computer I just gave my sister though. It has a K7S5A MB and I wanted a USB 2.0 card so she can get the full speed when connecting to her MP3 player.
              Or so that she can use a scanner.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

On the frontx side, there are a number of other possible usefull cables:

I know it isn't really what you are looking for, but if you can't find PCI cards with a USB-header it seems a possible alternative...

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                  Or so that she can use a scanner.
                  Funny, I used a Scanner on plain old slow USB 1 for over 5 years without problems
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Is this like what you're looking for?

If that one is correct, Newegg has one, by the same manufacturer, that has firewire on it too.
                    Last edited by SitFlyer; 4 October 2005, 01:07.

Comment

Sit - that newegg link is EXACTLY what I'm looking for thanks! That price is very doable too.

VJ - This is the closest to what would work: http://www.frontx.com/cpx508.html The only problem is that you'd have to do two. One leading to the internal header, the other snaking out the back and plugging in the back. hrm... then you have to deal with two grounds and only one pin on the header from the case..... no wait.. the head from the case would just get it's ground from the one and the other would just plug into nothing.

Technoid - Gurm has been having bad luck with a K7S5A board I gave him. It didn't work for me at all so I'm happy it just runs. However, a scanner he has just won't work at all with the usb of the MB. Odd considering some USB devices do work (like his printer).

Comment

The SiS 735's USB 1.x controller was notoriously poor. Lots of devices have limited/no compatibility with this controller. Most 735 board manufacturers released a newer revision of the same board with a USB 2.0 controller (also from SiS but without the bugs) partway through their production runs. That's all.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          The SiS 735's USB 1.x controller was notoriously poor. Lots of devices have limited/no compatibility with this controller. Most 735 board manufacturers released a newer revision of the same board with a USB 2.0 controller (also from SiS but without the bugs) partway through their production runs. That's all.
                          Ah
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yes I wish that all my K7S5A's that I work on were the later usb2.0 revisions.

Comment

Working...
                            X