Scan UK and getting an RMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scan UK and getting an RMA

I didn't realise I had to keep an Diary of advents for them too issue an RMA.

I filled out an online request form and gave a brief outline of what I done.

Swapped memory removed pci cards etc. I thought the clinching argument would be that everything works fine with a new motherboard and cpu with all the orginal hardware installed.

Clearly leaves the finger pointing at the Motherboard or CPU.

However they didn't like the fact that it could work for a week. Difficult for the techies to check. Leave it running in a corner is easy enougth isn't it with a note on it. Don't turn off.

Came back with a reasonable question next.

What are the temps and voltages in the bios.

However these are never 100% anyway. However I did check as overheating did cross my mind and they were within spec last time I looked but couldn't remember the exact values.

So I just replied within specs.

Got the same email back.

Same reply.

Still reluctant.

Have you checked the hard disk.

replied yup no errors.

Yet another email. This is going to be difficult to diagnose asking me to run memtest and 3dmark and prime 95.

Well I've run memtest and it passed and swapped memory as well and it still crashed. Besides if other components were faulty how they're working now.

To be honest I was getting a little pissed off by now as running any of the programs would tell me the same thing. The motherboard/Cpu is unstable.

Gave them a little roasting and after a days no response they emailed me a rma number.

Last time it was a lot easier but I did it by phone and the guy said sounds like CPU send it back. However they forgot to send a replacement and I had to chase that up.

I enclosed a long letter telling exactly what I've done hopefully they'll read it.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

The only time I ever RMA'd something to Scan they refunded me money and then sent me a better DVD drive 10 months later.

Although that was because they lied to me about the specs.

I hope that I never get any dodgy hardware from them guys, I've never heard of the process being easy.

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

They have got bad press but most online companies are poor to deal with.

Problem is enforcing the trading standards and you'll have to go to the small claims court. If you win you've then got a problem of enforcing the ruling.

Ideally if you pay through your credit card company and if the company gets a lot of compliants perhaps they should be blacklisted so people can't buy online from them. That would make the online companies clean up their act.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I had a CPU that arrived DOA.
        I sent it back and they *claimed* that it was physically damaged at my end!
        I filed a dispute with the CC company, but was never able to get my money back.
        Took months of arguing and hours (not an exaggeration) queuing on their phone lines!
        I wont use them again
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I find all the big online suppliers aren't too bad as long as you are prepared to do it exactly how they want to, in their time scale. Some will replace, others refund, but never try to get it done in a reasonable timeframe as it doesn't happen. Often the biggest arguments are over return shipping costs - significant when it is two heavy PC cases.

I find it least stressful to return something just before I go on holiday for a fortnight...
          FT.

Comment

Shipping costs there supposed to do that to be honest they never offer.
            For myself I'll do the shipping costs unles they really piss me off like what happened over my weather station which I shipped from America. I won every arguement over that. However I was also in contact with the supplier as well who said it was broke. I ain't in contact with AMD or gigabyte at this time. A major differance.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
            X