Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colour pictures from WW2

http://www.ww2incolor.com/

Quite good...put those times in different view, I think. (especially since when I was really small I thought that people must've had sad lives in the past, when whole world was b&w . Perhaps these photos will help me get ird of such misconceptions entarily... )

Prokudin-Gorskii (photographer of the Tsar) made colour photographs of Russia around the turn of the previous (!) century:
    The photographs of Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863-1944) offer a vivid portrait of a lost world—the Russian Empire on the eve of World War I and the coming revolution.

(the technology is quite different from colour film and is also explained; back then the photos couldn't be 'printed' but only projected)

There even are colour photographs of WW1 (using early colour film):
    Great War 14-18 site with explicit graphic pictures, real color photographs, and thought-provoking articles on the First World War 1914 - 1918 (using English and Dutch/Flemish: Eerste Wereldoorlog)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

This is truly awesome. I was blown away by some of these shots.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

These are really nice. Thanks.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
            Prokudin-Gorskii (photographer of the Tsar) made colour photographs of Russia around the turn of the previous (!) century:
            The photographs of Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863-1944) offer a vivid portrait of a lost world—the Russian Empire on the eve of World War I and the coming revolution.

(the technology is quite different from colour film and is also explained; back then the photos couldn't be 'printed' but only projected)
            Jörg
            For all of Prokudin-Gorskii's photos try:

The Prints and Photographs Online Catalog (PPOC) contains catalog records and digital images representing a rich cross-section of still pictures held by the Prints & Photographs Division and, in some cases, other units of the Library of Congress. The Library of Congress offers broad public access to these materials as a contribution to education and scholarship.

It's got many, many more of his photos, both the combined color images and the seperate R,G, and B frames at full resolution.

Comment

Working...
            X