Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• math/language question

Hello,

Probabely a simple question for the English speaking mathematicians here. Suppose you have a function:
    Code:
    f: A -> B
       x -> x^2 for x in [0,1]
       x -> x^3 for x in ]1,2]
    How do you call a function like this (i.e. a function that cannot be defined using a single expression, but is defined over different sections)? Is it just called piecewise, or is there a specific term for it?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Correct, its a "piecewise defined function"

btw, Joerg, one of your square brackets is facing the wrong way

Comment

Thanks, I thought there would have been a specific term for it...

While this function was merely in illustration, the bracket is NOT facing the wrong way: it is indicating a half-open interval. For this function, it wouldn't matter, but it changes if you consider this one:
      Code:
         x -> x^2 for x in [0,2]
         x -> x^3 for x in ]2,4]
      The function is discontinous in 2, if the second piece would be defined over [2,4], you'd get 2 functionvalues for one x value (4 for the first piece and 8 for the second piece). In this situation, you'll loose a number of properties. By defining it over a half-open interval, the function is an image (I hope 'image' is the right term).

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Uhm, not that I would know about these things, but even in the first function, AFAICS, it does matter as the funtion would have two derivatives for x=2?
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Excellent remark!
          I hadn't considered that...

But I'm not convinced it would be such a problem. The function is continous but not smooth (i.e. derivative is not continous). Even in the case with the half-open interval, you would have to consider the left and right derivative (using a limit) of 2.

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Can't you limit the use of a limit ( ) to the first piece though?
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Well yes, you only need the limit for the second piece...
              (my sentence did give the wrong impression... )

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

No Smurf knows math better than I do (nope, Math Smurf ain't born yet)! That's why we live in mushroowms and our dam always breaks,

Comment

This type of function is also known as a step function.

Another nomenclature is using a parenthesis to indicate that the number enclosed is actually a limit to that number.

x -> x^2 for x in [0,2]
                  x -> x^3 for x in (2,4]

There can be many steps.

dshumake

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is only a step-function if it isn't continuous.
                    pixar

Comment

This is NOT a step function.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

HAHA! Between Wikipedia and Snopes... we can correct anyone, anytime!
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                        X