DVD Burner Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Burner Troubles

I have a Sony DRX-720UL-T at work. On my work machine it will fail 80% of the time burning DVDs at points ranging from 5% all the way to 55% of progress. It works perfectly fine on my home machine. Both use XP with all the latest updates. The drive blinks between orange and green as if it is still working. Any ideas? Any other info needed? I tried updating the burners firmware and the burning software. Also i just recently upgrade from 256MB to 768MB at work.

You burning at speeds faster than the rated burn speed of the media? - thats the only time I see this behavior
    Lawrence

Comment

I have used the same media on both machines. And I have not gone above the rcomended speed. I have tried lower speeds on the off chance that part of the stack of DVDs was flawed. Different USB 2.0 rated cables. Different ports on the offending machine. Uninstalled Norton. Disabled BOINC.

Gonna do a fresh install of the software.
      Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 21 September 2005, 09:37.

Comment

Wait wait wait.

Uhh... USB drive?

That right there is the problem. Your work machine clearly has a borked USB setup. That's all.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

That could be true. I am going to uninstall and reinstall the USB ports. Worth a shot.

Comment

Didn't work. I could just install the firewire card and go through there. I need to find the software install disc.

Comment

As most MURCers know, I hate USB. It's good for low bandwidth peripheral and nothing else. Use firewire, or upgrade to eSATA if you want to do high speed burns externally.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The Firewire connection seemd to work though the burning did pause at one point and the CPU spiked for the Nero software at the same time. Firewire from now on then. None of the machines here even have Serial ATA or PCI Express so Serial ATA is undesirable and Firewire seemed to handle just as well as my internal DVD burner at home. I did not know there were external Serial ATA burners yet.

Edit:
                I'll be burning some other discs later today so that should give me enough consecutive succesful burns to be happy with it.

Also:
                The weird part if that it use to work perfectly with the USB 2.0 on my work system.

Question:
                Could a CPU spike affect the CPU dependant USB connection in this manner? Hmmm. I've never had this affect my USB 2.0 hard drive or usb floppy.

Finally: (2005-09-28)
                I finally got around to reinstalling Nero and no good. I wish I could nuke the machine. At least I get to keep the firewire card in my system.
                Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 28 September 2005, 12:47.

Comment

Working...
                X