Opera = free from now on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera = free from now on.

Faster, safer and smarter than default browsers. Fully-featured for privacy, security, and so much more. Get the faster, better Opera browser for free.

Guess Firefox's success has made them rethink their strategy.

Nice, Opera 8.50 changelog
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

It was somehow comming after the "free keys" thing...I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to get out free (and planned that way) 8,5 to their birthday, but missed the schedule.

Comment

Man, now I'm half tempted to try it.

Comment

I tried it when they had the birthday promotion.
          After going to a link that drowned me in pop-ups, I went back to Firefox.

Basically I can't live with AdBlock, and NoScript (lets you whitelist sites for use of javascript).

It's a shame, as in most other things it is superior to Firefox

Comment

I'm not entirely surprised. Charging for the browser was, in a way, keeping it from reaching the audience they desired. Which is to say, those using alternative browsers like Firefox as opposed to Internet Explorer. By no fault of their own, the browser market just doesn't play well with pay products anymore to the extent that one would hope. Given Opera's numbers, I highly doubt they ever made a profitable return on the browser, and they are simply choosing to focus their "please pay us" energies unto the mobile and embedded markets.

We'll have to see if being free enables them to better compete.
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

@Rob(QG):
              Anyone who was on the verge of switching before now have virtually no reason not toAdBlock PlusBugMeNotCustomizeGoogleDictionarySearchFarkitGmail NotifierNuke AnythingPlain Text LinksSwitch Proxy ToolGreasemonkeyI'm glad there's a version without the annoying advertising, but it wasn't that which wa...

Comment

Heh - I thought at first that that was saying that all that lot was available for Opera.
                In fact it was just agreeing with me.

Making it free will encourage more people to use it, but unless Opera makes it able to clean the crap off web sites, then I don't see them winning many Firefox users over. On the other hand they could win plenty of IE users, so it's not all bad for Opera.

I can't believe the comment about no bad pop-ups - I got caught out on the link that spawns a million windows of goatse, tubgirl, et al. Even worse, closing Opera didn't fix it as it just reloaded the same pages when I reopened it. Had to go digging and delete a file to fix it (as by that time I was struggling to get the menus to work).
                Last edited by Rob(QG); 20 September 2005, 23:20.

Comment

Mostis available. And it of course works the other way too. (did you read the comments? I linked to doscussion, not just that one comment)

ANd personally I've never had problems with popups...why should I visit sites that do something like that? (and btw, there is "full" adblock for Opera...I don't have time to look it up, /me in cafe)
                  Last edited by Nowhere; 21 September 2005, 03:53.

Comment

He wasn't agreeing Rob, he is just too lazy to play/explore or RTFM. Plain text links made me laugh, did he even try?

As for ads, no problems here with the standard ad blocking.

Comment

Heya,

changed to Opera on my Linux box, as FF is way to slow when Java programs are running in background.

Can anyone tell me, how i can change the behaviour when i enter url's in the address bar? Right now the site i wanna visit is opened in the tab i used before. I want Opera to open automatically a new bar when i enter an address in the address bar.

Thx
                      R.
                      "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

So you'd like the address bar to both show the current URL as well as opening URLs in new tabs? I don't think that's possible in Opera, and frankly, it sounds very counter-intuitive.

If you'd like to open new pages easily, you can probably assign a mouse button or keystroke to that action.

Comment

New tab for new URL

What about hitting Ctrl+N before you type the URL? It's what I do all the time with the win32 version. That and Ctrl+Shift+click to open links in a new tab without bringing it to the fore, same as Ctrl+click in Firefox.

Lord Zog, the Wildly Confused

Comment

thx, wasn't aware about the ctrl-n shortcut; i'll try that.

R.
                            "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Working...
                            X