Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TO VHS and beyond!

hello,

an old question to many! but what is the best way for me to transfer a DIVX movie onto VHS? I have a G200 marvel

thnx
    Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
    PIII 800 / 133Mhz running @100MHZ = 600MHZ!!! VIA Asus Slotkey
    SimpleTECH 128MB X 3/ 100Mhz
    IBM 9.GB Ultrawide Scsi LVD
    IBM 18gb secondary drive @ 7200
    Maxtor 37GB storage drive @ 5400
    Marvel G200 TV
    Microtek E6 scanner via scsi card {adaptec 1502}
    HP CD12ri CDRW 12X10X32 BurnProof!
    Creative Infra48 CD ROM
    Creative AWE64 Gold [ISA]
    Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
    21' Samsung Syncmaster 1000p
    Firewire card
    Mini USB hub
    8 port Compex 10/100 hub
    Sandisk Reader - USB
    Cordless Logitec Mouse
    Iomega Zip100 [the old ugly one!]
    HP 1220 C - A3 printer

Either;

Transcode to MJPeg and export it

or

buy a G400/G450 card so you can have DVDMax. It can play properly formatted DivX straight to the vidout. Properly formatted = a rez even divisible by 32.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

And if it's not a size dividable by 32 there's still a patch out that enables DVDMax on these files as well.
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

Yes, but I haven't tried that patch myself yet. Until I do I'm not recommending it in posts....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It worked well here in Win2k. Never tried Win98 though, but since this thing is not that complicated - it simply adds some pixle to both borders of the video, making it's size dividable by 32 (I suggested such a workaround some time ago), I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work.
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

True enough, but remember you're talking to a dyed-in-the-woll conservative here

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I would highly recommend AGAINST transcoding to mjpeg. (Doc???) Though it doesn't compare to the beautiful dual-head output, I just show the Marvel desktop on the TV, then play the divx full screen (in PC-VCR or whatever - I use PowerDVD actually). I've made plenty of tapes of old shows that way on my Marvel G200TV (last week, in fact). Be sure to change your Advanced Properties: Monitor Setting to fill the tv, so you don't get black or green borders around the edges.

I'm sure it will look better than transcoding highly compressed video. That's what the tv-out is for!
              Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Comment

cjyo~

what connection are u using for audio, r u going thru Blue Box or straight out of audio card ?
                Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
                Marvel G200 TV
                Creative Infra48 CD ROM
                Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
                Firewire card
                Mini USB hub
                8 port Compex 10/100 hub
                Sandisk Reader - USB
                Cordless Logitec Mouse
                HP 1220 C - A3 printer

Comment

I go s-video out of the BOB (blue box) and straight out of the soundcard to the SVHS deck (with a radio shack mini-stero to RCA cable).
                  Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Comment

Might work indeed. Of course I wouldn't use DivX anyhow. Over many hours I finally gave in to the fact that MPEG-2 is better overall for archiving video with any decent quality.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

can you refresh my memory please..
                      DVDMax will output video made with any codec (except the interlace bugged HUFFYUV)? And this is better than using the DualHead Clone to output videos to tape?

Comment

you mean using a G400MAX, which i have in the office ? is there a special plu that plugs into the 2nd VGA slot of the card that alloaws me to connect to video recorder ?

thnx

Dizzynoodle
                        Asus P2B @ 100Mhz
                        Marvel G200 TV
                        Creative Infra48 CD ROM
                        Realtek Chip NIC 10/100
                        Firewire card
                        Mini USB hub
                        8 port Compex 10/100 hub
                        Sandisk Reader - USB
                        Cordless Logitec Mouse
                        HP 1220 C - A3 printer

Comment

Your G400MAX should have come with a dualhead dongle which lets you attach either another monitor with the VGA portion of the dongle or a television with the composite (RCA) portion of the dongle.

When it's attached, just go to display properties, settings, advanced settings, dualhead, and select "dualhead clone, dvdmax, or zoom"... then check "use dualhead dvdmax".

From then on whatever is in your media application will output fullscreen to your secondary display. Magic!

- Aryko

Comment

Doc,

I agree with you about archiving to MPEG II. When you consider space/quality/smooth playback MPEG II is better than DivX. Full res DivX at 1500-2000 bitrates stutter a bit on my PIII850.

Although MPEG II does require more bandwidth, the resulting file plays back on almost any system smoothly.
                            - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
                            X