Installing windows..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing windows..

I got my new 320 gb hard drive the other day, and decided that is was time to retire my 40 gb disc. The problem I am facing now, is this:
    In the windows installation, where you choose what partition to install, i get an error message I am not familiar with. It says the partition does not contain Windows compatible blablabla (I am not at home, so I can't really remember the exact message). No matter what combination i try, I get the same message. Even though I format the partition, create a new one, try to install on an old one, I still get the same message. Anyone got an idea about what this is?

I can only assume it's an IDE drive since you're retiring a 40 GB drive. Does the mobo have 48-bit LBA? If push comes to shove you could set the HDD to split into 120 GB ... most larger IDE drives have alternate jumper settings for this problem.

Or so that's what I would think is the problem. If that don't fix it I would guess a physical problem with the HDD.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

What version of windows are you installing? I'd recommend slipstreaming your windows disc to SP2 if XP and SP4 if 2k.

Gathering the right people, content and resources, IT Pro gives professionals insight into the technologies and skills needed to take on the challenges

It should include drivers and settings allowing you to get around new hardware....issues.
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

The only time I got this error was when the partition wasn't set to active. So use partition magic and make a primary/active partition of 10gb or whatever for the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
          The only time I got this error was when the partition wasn't set to active. So use partition magic and make a primary/active partition of 10gb or whatever for the OS.
          I agree, you can also make active with fdisk.

Comment

I recently replaced my cousin's dying HDD in a rush and was having problems until I realised that I had it jumpered incorrectly. Windows install worked for a while, then borked. It took me a few minutes to figure out the problem. So I recommend checking the jumpers. Also, update your mobo firmware to the latest version to ensure that you've got any 48bit LBA patches in place. You can also try creating a smaller partition for installing XP, then using Partition Magic to expand it after you've got it running and fully service packed, etc.
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Working...
            X