Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revolution controller revealed

revolution controller revealed.... of which I am very skeptical

Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Yeah I am a bit skeptical, but then again playing games with one hand free to drink a beer could be a big feature.

Comment

the possibilities could be really cool - especially for sword wielding games (zelda)
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Screw being skeptical, I think it's going to fail miserably. Looks like they're trying to make the "iPod" of console systems or something, oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
          Screw being skeptical, I think it's going to fail miserably. Looks like they're trying to make the "iPod" of console systems or something, oh well...

I agree...isn't more or less...if its not broke...why fix it?

ugh....I guess this the only thing they have they can do different then the PS3 and Xbox360, since its hardware will pale compaired to them.
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Whether or not the hardware will pale in comparison is yet to be seen in execution as well as specs. Remember how much people complained about the PS2 when it came out... lots of power, B*tch to code for. Gamecube is less powered than the PS2 and Xbox on paper but I've seen many games that look far better on the GC than on either (especially the PS2).

As for the controller itself.... I AM skeptical but I can see how if this is done right it can change things. How many games do you know that use all the buttons on a controller? How many new gamers, moms, and the general population honestly get frightened of gaming because of how imposing the controller is. Nintendo took something that looked stupid (the bongos) and people that actually let themselves use it love it. I'm not saying Nintendo never falls on its face but until I try one I'm willing to hold judgement.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782 Here's a good writeup of the controller being used. They talk about how much it makes sense in fps.
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

the 1up article also makes a good point. A lot of the game demos drew the players to move MORE and interact with the game. Now... how many parents are going to decide that if they are going to let their kids play video games they might as well pick the system that makes them be at least a little active and not just a lump on the couch. I've heard a number of stories of kids/adults losing a lot of weight because of DDR and those damn dance pads.
              Last edited by Claymonkey; 20 September 2005, 17:12.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

If you haven't see this yet, it starts to make a lot more sense:

I was beyond skeptical of how the Revolution controller could possibly offer any sort of advantage to most game players, but now I'm wondering if Nintendo hasn't just jumped ahead of the others in terms of interaction. I'd love to see someone using it to actually play a game like Mario or a FPS, rather than just seeing the people (as in the video).

Edit: Was thinking that if the controllers and interface do indeed have that range of use, then I can see some rather interesting alternative controllers being brought out to offer the most immersive experience in various games.
                Last edited by Jessterw; 20 September 2005, 16:00.
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I'd be REALLY interested to see how Zelda and Metroid will play with this.

Comment

"And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                    X