Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I make a wired keyboard/mouse wireless...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I make a wired keyboard/mouse wireless...

Hello,

As some of you might remember, I recently purchased a Datahand Pro II keyboard. This is quite exotic keyboard that most comfortable on my lap.

While the keyboard has a fairly long cable, I feel it would be easier if it were wireless (which is not an option). Currently, the keyboard (which also controls the mouse cursor) is connected via 2 PS/2 connectors to this Belkin USB-PS/2 adapter. My computer has a Sitecom Bluetooth dongle.

In retrospect, I think I should have both the serial version of the keyboard/mouse device: there are bluetooth serial port adapters. But I hadn't thought of it at the time. So, is there a way to make this PS/2 keyboard/mouse device wireless?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Originally posted by VJ
    So, is there a way to make this PS/2 keyboard/mouse device wireless?
    I have some scissors you can borrow.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
      I have some scissors you can borrow.
      I would still like it to work...

These are the scenarios I was thinking about:
      • PS/2 wireless cable replacement (2x)
      • USB wireless cable replacement
      • PS/2 to bluetooth dongle (2x)

I know for serial ports, a wireless cable replacement exists; as does a serial to bluetooth dongle (a bit harder to find a batterypowered one, but they exist also).

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
        I would still like it to work...
        I was kidding btw.

Originally posted by VJ
        These are the scenarios I was thinking about:
        • PS/2 wireless cable replacement (2x)
        • USB wireless cable replacement
        • PS/2 to bluetooth dongle (2x)

I know for serial ports, a wireless cable replacement exists; as does a serial to bluetooth dongle (a bit harder to find a batterypowered one, but they exist also).

Jörg
        I'm sure there's a way. Tried doing some research on google but I'm not sure what to type to get what your looking for. It keeps coming up with network wireless adapters.

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
          I was kidding btw.
          I know, don't worry...

I'm sure there's a way. Tried doing some research on google but I'm not sure what to type to get what your looking for.
          Well, searching for anything that contains "wireless" and "PS/2", yields a vast array of links about wireless keyboards that have a PS/2 connection... I have found some things on wireless USB, but they are either in development or for OEMs...

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
            I know, don't worry...
            Ah ok.
            Originally posted by VJ
            Well, searching for anything that contains "wireless" and "PS/2", yields a vast array of links about wireless keyboards that have a PS/2 connection... I have found some things on wireless USB, but they are either in development or for OEMs...

Jörg
            That or Playstation 2 wireless adapters.

I'll keep searching, just need to refine my search. Hmmm, I wonder if the google directory would be any help...

Edit: I've been searching google like mad and it's really hard to find what your looking for.
            Last edited by ZokesPro; 15 September 2005, 07:01.

Comment

So far, I came up with these:
              Icron wireless USB (in development)
              wireless kvm (way too expensive, I don't need wireless video )

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

I found this:

Bluetooth wireless serial adapter
                Last edited by ZokesPro; 15 September 2005, 07:29.

Comment

Yes, plenty of serial port adapters, but my keyboard has 2 PS/2 ports... I figured the keyboard/mouse would be more compatible with a PS/2 port than a serial port. Had I thought about this wireless route before, I would have gotten the serial version...

I might still consider the purchase of a second such keyboard (for in my office), but given the price and the fact that I can work from home this seems like just a waste of money...

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

I can't find anything except for those damned serial adapters.

Comment

So what you are probably looking for is a PS/2 to RS232 adapter. If you find a couple of those, along with a couple of RS232 to bluetooth adapters, you should be set.

I havent looked for PS/2 to RS232, but I would be supprised if they dont exist.

Comment

Yes, I have also considered that, but didn't manage to find a PS/2 to RS232 adapter...
                        edit: I found some devices... But will it work on the PC side? (i.e. suppose I go this route, will the keyboard and mouse work via a serial port in XP)

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

See my soulution here: http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?t=54132
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                            I'm not sure if it would work...
                            The technique described in that posts seems to be aimed at regular keyboards. The datahand keyboard is virtually noiseless.

I'm currently looking into the PS/2 -> serial -> bluetooth option...

Jörg
                            pixar

Comment

Working...
                            X