Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Maurdrid -- Some advice please

My brother-in-law claims that he can capture
    mpeg-1 real time with his all-in-wonder 128 card.

Since I have never seen the result of mpeg-1
    with this gear I would like to know how it compairs with Matrox Marvel and encoding with
    TMPGEnc. I am more interested in quality than speed.

At the moment as perhaps you can recall my hard disck transfer rate is only about 6.22Mb/sec.

Regards
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Realtime MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 captures are possible with the ATI, WinTV, Pinnacle and many of the Matrox cards.

This also requires suporting drivers and the occaisional freeware patch as well as capable editing & capture software. Uleads VideoStudio5, MSPro6 and MSI's VideoWave software support this mode of operation.

Now for the rub, which is quality. MPEG capture, even with hardware support, will always be inferior to offline encoding with consumer level boards. 1/30th of a second isn't much time to do it right.

That said some MPEG capture combos do better than others. Right now some of the better captures are done using editors with the updated Ligos codec. This would include VideoStudio5 (with the update patch), VideoWave and the Matrox eTV card which has them included in its drivers. The WinTV PVR has had some driver issues of late.

Such capures typically require <2 mb/s for full frame, a distinct advantage if the quality holds up.

As I said above, the best quality is capturing the highest possible quality video then encoding it with a program like TMPGEnc.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 24 April 2001).]

Comment

Thanks very much, I get the message. I have never been too keen on real time mpeg-1 or mpeg-2 encoding at least on home equipment. You said somthing about a patch for Ulead VS 5.0, can I download this and from where ?

I have the VS 5.0 and MS 6.0 but the Ligos encoder is a disgrace !!.

Also, can I capture straight in mpeg-1 from the Marvel G400-TV, If so, how ? I do'nt mind giving it a try.

Thanks again for your advice.

Comment

The patch is here along with a list of fixes;

http://www.ulead.com/tech/vs_ftp.htm

Among them are SVCD presets and improvements in VCD quality.

To get the Marvel G400-TV capturing MPEG-1 you should start with the 1.52 drivers, Flying Dutchman's YUY2 patch (in MURC's downloads). Set up VS5 or Uleads capture proggie to YUY2 and use the Ulead MPEG capture driver. You can capture either MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks again, the patch is on the way, It has been some time since I'v been to Ulead site.

I wonder if there is also a a patch for macrovision for the 1.52 drivers since some old VHS tapes will have sync problems, if not I will just have to go back and hook-up again my video mixer that way it will filter out the original sync pulse and supply a strong clean new one.

Thanks again. If you ever happen to be in this part of the world I would'nt mind buying a couple of drinks.

Comment

Make mine a Fosters

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Debbie,

I can mail you the VT1.52 MV patch if you gimme your address.

Rob.

Comment

Or alternatively you can download it from right here on the site !

http://www.desktopvideoworld.co.uk/D...ds/vt152cr.zip

Comment

Good Morning,

Thank you both fot the macrovision crack.
                  That's two more drinks I have to buy, if you
                  happen to be in Malta.

Are both cracks the same ?

Good morning to you also Dr. Mordrid.

Comment

Working...
                  X