So tell me about London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So tell me about London

Next week I'm going to London for extended weekend. So I'd like to know things to see, where to go, the tricks,...

I'm into museums, architecture, there will not be excessive partying as the budget will be sparse.

I'll be flying Adria to Gatwick and then taking Gatwick Express to Victoria station (Easyjet is not much cheaper (6 quid), flies to Stansted and Adria is Slovenian airline).

Some questions that come to mind:
    - Does the tube run 24h per day? A weekly pass - I heard it's wise to take photos with you in order to get a pass. I understand the tube pass is also valid for busses/trams.
    - How much is a daily pass, weekly pass, can you pay on train, how does the ticketing function?
    - How are cabs, are they expensive, do they have different tariffs to rip off foreigners like they do here?
    - Tell me about flowers, where's the best place to buy them. For instance here there is this market where you can buy huge bouquet for like 5 pounds and a single rose for 55 pence or so, while the downtown florists and gas stations rip you for 1,60 quid per rose
    - What's a cost effective way to eat outside (don't plan to do a lot of that) outside of fast foods?
    - How rough is the place in terms of crime - pickpockets, muggings - I'm city conscious, I have good situational awareness and I haven't been picked on here in years.
    - Anything else I should know - I know the place is attrociously expensive and I know price of general items, I'll be bringing my own supply fags as they cost 3 times less here. (If you're smoker on a pack per day it's more cost effective to hop on Easyjet or Adria and come here to buy your montly supply of cigarettes).
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 14 September 2005, 01:56.

Originally posted by UtwigMU
    Next week I'm going to London for extended weekend. So I'd like to know things to see, where to go, the tricks,...

I'm into museums, architecture, there will not be excessive partying as the budget will be sparse.
    Good man
    British Museum
    British Library
    Tower of london (not free) - pretty interesting, but definitely touristy.

I'll be flying Adria to Gatwick and then taking Gatwick Express to Victoria station (Easyjet is not much cheaper (6 quid), flies to Stansted and Adria is Slovenian airline).

Some questions that come to mind:
    - Does the tube run 24h per day? A weekly pass - I heard it's wise to take photos with you in order to get a pass. I understand the tube pass is also valid for busses/trams.
    - How much is a daily pass, weekly pass, can you pay on train, how does the ticketing function?
    I think the tube is 24 hours, but the frequency of trains is lower during the night hours.

For the tube / bus pass, look around this site:

Since you'll be there on a weekend, I'd get the off-peak card. You can always just pay for the ticket if you do need to travel during peak hours.
    - How are cabs, are they expensive, do they have different tariffs to rip off foreigners like they do here?
    Somewhat expesnive - more than the tube anyway. The cab drivers are very professional they have to take tests on the most efficient routes between various attractions, and the location of most anything in the city. I think there are standard tariffs for things like going to Heathrow or the like, but in town they can vary (some Londoner may want to correct that if I'm wrong)
    - Tell me about flowers, where's the best place to buy them. For instance here there is this market where you can buy huge bouquet for like 5 pounds and a single rose for 55 pence or so, while the downtown florists and gas stations rip you for 1,60 quid per rose
    - What's a cost effective way to eat outside (don't plan to do a lot of that) outside of fast foods?
    Can't help you woth flowers, but as for eating outside, the big trick is the sandwich. Just about every small convenience store, gas (oops - petrol) station, or supermarket will have a variety of sandwiches available at reasonable cost. I've got a large appetite, so I eat two (or more ) per meal, but they're usually in the £1.25 range each (this may have gone up in the last two years)
    - How rough is the place in terms of crime - pickpockets, muggings - I'm city conscious, I have good situational awareness and I haven't been picked on here in years.
    I haven't had any problems, but I have heard that there are bad areas. When getting on the tube at Tooting Bec, a friend cautioned me quite a bit (though GNEP seems to think it's safe )
    - Anything else I should know - I know the place is attrociously expensive and I know price of general items, I'll be bringing my own supply fags as they cost 3 times less here. (If you're smoker on a pack per day it's more cost effective to hop on Easyjet or Adria and come here to buy your montly supply of cigarettes).
    Better to quit

Lonon is pretty darned expensive, but basically worth it. It's a fun city to explore.

- Steve

Comment

Imperial war museum is pretty neat, if you want to look at WW2 stuff.. the London Dungeon is pretty nifty too
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

The tubes only run up till about 12.30 then starts at aound 5.30am. There is a night bus network but it is sometimes full of 'interesting' people. The 1 day Travelcard is valid after 9.30am until 4am. Probably about £5 a day. Peak times (more expensive tickets are the ones you buy before 9.30am).

You should be able to get a 5 day return from Gatwick to Victoria.

You buy tickets at the train/tube station either at the machine or go to the ticket desk at the station entrance.

If you go to www.journeyplanner.org that is a complete transport timetable and is excellent.

Expect to pay about £3 for a bottle of beer. No need to tip in bars.

A cheap chain of pubs is called Wetherspoons - no music but cheap beer.

Beware of unlicenced minicab drivers. The black cabs are good, they can be quite expensive though. But you get to see how much you are going to pay.

Look out for Tesco Express they are cheap to get a sandwich and a drink.

Do not get cash out of a ATM that is in a convenience store as they normally charge a 'convenience' fee of £1.50.

Try to go on the Milennium wheel you get a great view of London. (Which is near Waterloo Station)
        British Museum is apparently even though I have never been yet.

Science Museum is pretty good as is the Natural history museum, Harrods is pretty near too (South Kensingston Tube station).

There are quite few art galleries around Trafalgar Square.

There is a free news paper called the Metro which has a list of things do in it.

http://www.eastlondonmarkets.com/Columbia%20Road.htm is a flower market on Sundays.
        Hope I've been some help. I live out in the suburbs though.

ThePit probably knows more about London than me though.
        Last edited by Fluff; 14 September 2005, 13:50.

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
          Imperial war museum is pretty neat, if you want to look at WW2 stuff.. the London Dungeon is pretty nifty too
          Are you thinking of the Cabinet War Rooms, or is this something different?

In either case, the Cabinet War Rooms is very cool.

- Steve

Comment

BM ++++++
            pub grub or the local market for bread+cheese+fruit
            Kew gardens if you are into it. Relaxing anyway. You can take a river cruise, but a bit pricey. Nice view.
            Use the bus and the tube and walk and walk and walk.

Comment

Working...
            X