Digital 5.1 speaker systems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital 5.1 speaker systems.

My new living room is quite small, and my new fiance doesn't like huge HiFi or huge speakers. these are pretty standard problems in this world we live in.

The solution, I thought, was to go and get a little DTS 5.1 amp with those little speakers that are all the rage.

Can I find a small surround sound amp that does just that? Can I heck. I don't need to switch 5 different video inputs, tune radio, and heat a small country from a power supply the size of my sofa. I just want a kit with the following specification (give or take):

Digital inputs (an additional anlogue input would be a bonus)
    5.1 speakers, probably with an amp in the subwoofer to keep it small
    Tiny cube speakers that I can hide from the missus.
    Sound quality that satisfies my inner HiFi geek.
    Processing unit no larger than a slimline DVD player

The best kit I have found so far is the Logitech Z-5500 ( http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9486 ).

Can anyone think of any great alternatives around the price range? (About £200 maximum)

Ta all,

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I'd verify that the 5500's would be a good bet. I'm always surprised when I hear a set. Not to mention they have the added bonus of being shielded, which admittedly isn't an issue with a living room setup but it never hurts.
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I would be tempted to go for the 5450 as it has wireless rear speakers. To reduce clutter.

Comment

Luckily I have had to put some boxing in my floor for cables and pipes so getting wires to the back of the room is a doddle.

The Sony decoder is a little bulky, but it's pretty cheap and it looks like the sub isn't going to cause serious subsidence issues.

Good suggestions. Hopefully the 5500's will be down to £150 by christmas (crosses fingers). If I can resist that long.

Uberlad
          -------------------------
          8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
          5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

My brother has speakers by Monitor Audio:
            Monitor Audio is a British manufacturer of Hi-Fi speaker systems, offering quality stereo home cinema systems, multi-room audio setups, bluetooth, and more.

Both for his home cinema, and for a compact Denon audio system. They sound wonderfull, even the small ones.

And some packages use small speakers:

Here are details about the B1 speakers:

(I believe my brother has 2 B1's on the Denon compact system)

Jörg
            Last edited by VJ; 14 September 2005, 06:59.
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
            X