Bolivian Rainbow Chile Plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolivian Rainbow Chile Plant

I finally got myself some seeds to plant the Bolivian Rainbow plant. Any ideas on how to plant them? i received them this morning in the mail with no instructions. Since its becoming fall soon here i'm just going to plant them inside at my grandmothers house.

Has anyone planted this plant before?
    Do you plant them the same as any other type of chile plant?
    Tips are welcome... i think i have never planted anything in my life.

www.lizziemorrison.com

Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not overwater
    Suitable for growing in containers

Days to Maturity:
    Mid (69-80 days)

basically thats all i have so far
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Found this

That thing must create a very stunning display in real-life if your slide is anything to go by.

Hope you are successful in getting it to grow.
      Lawrence

Comment

Ah - I see you most likely arrived there on your own then.
        Lawrence

Comment

yea but i cant grow outdoors soo.. full sun equals next to a window? or a light on them>
          Last edited by Lizzard[MPE]; 9 September 2005, 11:02.
          www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

and i also came across a forum of a guy that had a problem that all his peppers were all only purple. some other person said that he planted them too late then.. does it matter when you plant something when youre planting it indoors?
            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Some plant rely on very specific changes in temp/humidity/light during a normal cycle of propagation, so I would say its going to be a huge thing as to where you plant them and what exactly the environmental changes are like.

Full sun here in SA means boil the beer hot! - IE - lot of light and high temps.

Elsewhere ........... dunno - guess it depends on where the plant originated and what the typical climate is there.

Next to a window will most likely have it grow but its going to be a sulking woman IMO - nothing is ever right so I will not look my best.
              Lawrence

Comment

Try this link Liz

Comment

BTW, those little guys are scorchers !! dangerous for small children

Here you go:

To propagate chiles, sow seeds in shallow flats at ¼" depth, 8 weeks prior to transplanting outdoors. Deep cell trays will allow for deeper root development. Maintain 80–90°F soil temperature for good germination as peppers germinate slowly or not at all in cooler soil. Fertilize seedlings with Maxi Crop or fish or seaweed emulsion to encourage seedling health. Harden seedlings off by exposing them to exterior elements for a week prior to planting. Reduce moisture slightly when hardening off. Transplant to the field when soil is 70°F. Space plants 12–18" apart in rows 24-36" apart.

Cultivation
                  Chiles cross-pollinate freely, primarily by bees, so different types should be isolated from each other to reduce crossing. Close planting could result in hotter chiles increasing the potency of adjacent milder chiles or vice versa. The chile pods on any one plant can vary in hotness.

Rio Grande PepperPeppers require a warm, long, frost-free season to produce high yields of quality fruits. Peppers require high phosphorous for flower and fruit development. Plant in well-drained sandy loam or loam soils with a pH range of 6.5–8.5. Peppers can be moderately sensitive to soil salinity.

Peppers can be sensitive to bacterial spot and phytopthora. Using drip irrigation will help reduce the incidence of these diseases. Blossom end rot can also be a problem in peppers, but can be mitigated with

a regular watering regime. Yearly crop rotation is an effective way of reducing disease and weed problems in pepper production.

Harvesting
                  Time of harvest for peppers depends on ultimate use. Most peppers should be picked either early when green or when they are more mature and red. If you pick the first peppers promptly when they reach full size, it will encourage further fruit set. Wear rubber gloves when harvesting chiles. Store fresh fruits at 45°F and 95% humidity for longer shelf life.

Processing
                  Peppers can be consumed fresh, canned, brined/pickled, frozen, fermented, and dehydrated. Peppers can also be hung to dry in low humidity climates. This way, you can enjoy their bounty all year round to spice up your food!

Comment

Originally posted by degrub
                    BTW, those little guys are scorchers !! dangerous for small children
                    Not for Erik I'd bet. This 7 year old likes his habaneros fresh, crispy and without anything else. Just eats 'em straight, just like his daddy

His latest kick: habenero ketsup. Dips all his chips, fries etc. in the stuff.

Margie can't stand to be in the same room with us when we're on a pepper kick

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Once watched my ex boss pop one , pickled,. you could see the flush up his neck to the top of his hairless head....

WHen i was a kid, there was a bully on the street and we had a bush of bolivians. Asked what they were, i told him candy peppers, he grabbed a couple and munched, ....ran screaming to his momma
                      Last edited by degrub; 10 September 2005, 15:46.

Comment

Working...
                      X