Scientific Chernobyl Effects Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientific Chernobyl Effects Report

I have commented on this at http://www.bnellis.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Two thoughts:

1. Interesting. I would have guessed there'd be more human problems. Environmental damage is about what I'd have expected (i.e. major suckitude).

2. I thought _I_ was hybristic with gurm.net... hehe.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I wonder something about iodine...it was, apparently, released in the incident and caused harm to some children.

Than...why it was given to me, to drink? What do I miss here?

PS. btw, can't check the pdf now unfortuantelly...but I think I read somewhere that the nature almost fluorish now in some areas that were unnecessary abolished by humans

Comment

It's all in the dosage, really. In small controlled doses (say, the kind you get with iodized salt or the Quinine in seltzer water) it's therapeutic. In large doses, it's poisonous.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Hmm...it was given to me in quite large dose I think (yes, after the Chernobyl). Or perhaps not...hmm. Works in homeophatic way or something?

Comment

It's the radioactive isotopes of iodine that are dangerous, mainly because the body concentrates it in the thyroid gland which doesn't appreciate beta and gamma radiation. Large amounts of iodine can protect you from that particular issue of radioactive fallout by loading your body up with non-radioactive iodine so that your thyroid stops absorbing any more. The trick is, like Gurm said, it's toxic if you get too much so you have to be careful with the doseage. It also causes rather severe health issues if you don't get enough of it, like for example mental retardation.

Comment

Ahh, that would explain all things nicely...and (not sure if I'm imaginig this or not) but AFAIK some part of children was somewhat ill after the treatment...

Comment

Better to have a small OD of good iodine if it prevents absorption of the bad stuff. Most of the I was from milk from cows grazing on contaminated grass.
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                X