possible to remotely trigger an SMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible to remotely trigger an SMS?

Is it possible for a person in location A to cause a mobile in location B to send a text message, either by some kind of trigger or scheduling mechanism?

You can assume this person would have advanced electronics/programming knowledge.

I'll explain the reason for the question later.

Many TIAs.

T.
    FT.

If the mobile in location B has a schduling function, and the person has access to it before it departs fro location B, then that would be easy.

A person with electronics / mechanics knowledge could also make a small robot that could dial the correct numbers at the appropriate time, but that would be a pretty complex solution.
    Someone with a lot of electronics knowledge could just make their own cell network/SMS-compatible device.

If you just want it to appear as though mobile B sent something, then spoofing from location would be the best bet (though I don't know how to do this).

- Steve

Comment

It may have to be attached to a PC, I think it would be possible if usung something like Float's Mobile Agent for PC. Then set up a script on the pc (not sure if the software allows it).

So when a text message comes into the phone / pc it can check against a phone number and decide to either send out a standard message, etc.

You may be looking for something like SMS relay.

Comment

Thanks Guys. Fluff - that is exactly what I needed to know.

Reason for the question: a suspect is known to be at point A when their phone sent a message from point B. Is this a cast-iron alibi, or could some trickery be used? Clearly it can. Even if FMA doesn't do scheduling, Remote Desktop will let you do it over the net.

Many, many ta's.
        FT.

Comment

If this person has a Motorola phone, it would be easy using a PC with Mobile Phone Tools & a USB cable/bluetooth.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Interesting. I spoke to somebody at O2 (one of the biggest networks here) who assured me that it is not possible to initiate any chargeable service from anything other than the handset. I guess that was the 'off the shelf' answer.
            FT.

Comment

Very interesting

Most importantly!!!

Basically SMS is not an alibi.
              Last edited by Fluff; 8 September 2005, 09:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                Interesting. I spoke to somebody at O2 (one of the biggest networks here) who assured me that it is not possible to initiate any chargeable service from anything other than the handset. I guess that was the 'off the shelf' answer.
                Well, it IS from the handset. It's just that a computer is controlling the handset, and not a person literally pushing the buttons.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for the links
                  FT.

Comment

Working...
                  X