Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.8 GHz laptop, 1 TB RAM

I saw this anouncement:

The leaves aren’t even turning and it’s already time to start talking about what we’re going to see at this year’s gadget gonzo-fest, CES 2006. First up is the crazy quick-sounding 6.8Ghz laptop by Atom Chip Corporation. With a solid-state drive replacing the traditional hard disk, it should be able to blow other competitors away—but nobody can really tell without proper benchmarking.
    Here are the full specs:

Processor: 6.8GHZ CPU (AtomChip® Quantum® II processor or 4 x Intel® Pentium® M processors 1.7CHz)
    Memory: 1TB Quantum-Optical non-volatile RAM (NvIOpSRAM-SODIMM 200-pin)
    Storage: 2TB non-volatile Quantum RAM (NvIOpRAM-ATA IDE)
    Where did this suddenly come from?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

You will power it with recyclable mini plutonium reactor power modules

Comment

Well, they claim 8 hours autonomy .

On this link:

they show what they'll exhibit at CES2006

1TB non-volatile Quantum-Optical Synchronous RAM: expected selling price $6000
      1TB super storage ATA-IDE: expected selling price $2500
      2TB super storage ATA-IDE: expected selling price $5000

Dunno about you, but I would have quessed the ATA stuff to be more expensive...
      This could actually become affordable in relatively short time.

Jörg
      Last edited by VJ; 7 September 2005, 01:31.
      pixar

Comment

I wonder why anyone would attach solid-state drives with an ATA interface. Isn't that way to slow?
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Was my first thought too... But the specs show:
          Specifications (ATA IDE) : 1) DC Input Voltage: 5.0V ±10% ; 2) Standby : <0.5µA ; 3) Read : 1.5 µA ; 4) Write: 2.5 µA ; 5) Reading time : 60 ns ; 6) Update time : 120 ns ; 7) Temperature Operating : -50+125 C ; 8) Humidity Operating : 5 - 95% ; 9) Shock Operating [max] : 2,000G .
          reading in 60ns ?

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Yes, that should be about right for solid-state AFAIK (at least 1 inch), it's not latency, it's bandwidth I'd be concerned about. Not on the drive, but the interface which maxxes out at, what, 66mb/s, 150mb/s?
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

this looks well dodgy to me. Coming up with this out of the blue, it not only blows current hard drives and processors out of the water, but its tiny too. Something does not add up here, either that or they have just made the most revolutinary product of a decade. Im betting the first is correct.
              is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
              Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Well, if I read it corretly, the HD is solid-state, and for that type the specs don;t seem outrageous to me.

Comment

It's bull shit.

Nice technology you have going there boys.

Comment

If it's too good to be true it's because it's not true.

Notice that some of the pics on the site are blurry? If I was to present a revolutionary laptop, I'd put more work into my website and especially more work into taking better quality pictures. It cost millions to produce chips and yet they can't seem to afford a better cam for the pics on their website let alone the site itself. It's fake and everything about their website supports that fact.
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Can't tell if this is a joke, or a scam that is trying to get moronic investors to give 'em cash?

Comment

it is bogus............should slide over to /. and read the comments there
                        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

yeah I figured so as soon as I read about their optical 6.5Ghz chip LOL, If that was the case, Intel and AMD would go apeshit over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                            Can't tell if this is a joke, or a scam that is trying to get moronic investors to give 'em cash?
                            Hey this reminds my of the gool ole' Bit Boys...OY!!! they always had revolutionay video technology on paper that they were going to release eventually but never did LOL!!!

OY!

Comment

Well Bitboys were unable to bring their tech to mass production, but c'mon.. They are not hoaxers.
                              There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Working...
                              X