The curse of the 48 hr crash and zero errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The curse of the 48 hr crash and zero errors

Machines crashes 48hrs +/- a few. It just freezes. Bugger to fix. I've just been swapping hardware. It's now gone past 48 hrs since the last crash but if it fails again I'm down too CPU or motherboard and sadly i haven't any spares.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Memory leak?
    Sounds like something is runing in the background and slowly eating your system alive.

Comment

How about the power supply?

DJ

Comment

Doubtful it's the power supply as it's 550W recent Antec and theres little hanging of it.
        memory interesting.
        At the moment it's still running so if it carries onto the end of the week it's going to be either the G550 or the televideo card
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Still running. Now if it gets to the end of the week I've probably cracked it.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Aaargh crashed last night.

Not many options left now. Wish it would crash quicker as it would be easier too trouble shoot.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I seem to remember a Windows version that had to crash after a certain time (overflow of some counters), I believe it was Windows 98.

Could there perhaps be software running that exhibits a similar behaviour?

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Start disabling services/backround programs one at a time and see what happens...

The pursuit of perfection is almost always a lengthy road. In this case, it appears you are driving it at night without a map...such are the wonders of computers. We wonder why we bother sometimes.
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                  Doubtful it's the power supply as it's 550W recent Antec and theres little hanging of it.
                  memory interesting.
                  At the moment it's still running so if it carries onto the end of the week it's going to be either the G550 or the televideo card
                  I've had really bad luck with Antec. Almost every PS I've bought from them has had to be replaced. They've given me some weird issues too. Don't be too quick to rule it out.
                  P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

pull the televideo card and see how long it goes. Anything else on the bus ? Is WIn running checkdisk on boot after a crash ? ANyting showing up in Event monitor ? Device manager ?
                    Move your memory to a different slot ? Power supply set to the correct voltage ? i actually had one shipped selected to 240V and didn't notice it until it started rebooting randomly.
                    Last edited by degrub; 9 September 2005, 08:24.

Comment

Well I found the memory leak. It's a program that if you minimise to the system tray it's grows by 26mb in 12 hours. Leave it running out of the systray it doesn't leak.

Everything been pulled and changed bar the lightning detector and mainboard and CPU.

I think it's the mainboard to be honest. Anyway I ordered some replacements as ideally this machine needs to be running 24 hrs a day.

Today it crashed after 5 hours and the ATI card was reluctant to display an image on reboot. Switched the agp to x4 and it started striaght away. Sadly the bios has very little tweaking so you can't ease the memory timings at all.

Hopefully it's not the lightning detector as this will have ship back to the USA.

The ram passed memtest quiet happly last time I tried it as well.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Lightning detector ????

Comment

Originally posted by degrub
                          Lightning detector ????
                          you mean your computer does not have one???

.. he is a weather nut, and runs his onw weather site
                          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Oh. We just use TVs, stereos, VCRs, microwaves, etc for detection

Comment

I hear the better way is to fly a kite with a key attached to it.. maybe a nice strand of copper wire to hold it up .. it works well, but only once
                              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
                              X