Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSP8: Applying transitions to titles etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSP8: Applying transitions to titles etc.

One remark that has been mentioned in a few forums is that it's a pity that transitions can't be applied to titles or other stand-alone tracks.

They can.

Here's how:
    1. I'll assume your background video is in V1 and your title (or whatever) is in V2.
    2. Put a black colour clip in V3, the same length as your title
    3. Apply a black luma overlay to your colour clip to render it transparent
    4. Drag it down from V3 to V2: if you have automatic transitions checked, it will form a transition that can be changed from your default to whichever one you want.
    5. By adding keyframes and playing with the transition degree slider in Effects Manager, the possible transition effects are almost endless, perhaps some more than others.

I've tried this with a number of transitions, including Turn Page and other page curls, which seem to be popular ones.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Sorry Brian but it's not the same effect..

See Matrox Rtx.100 tutorial:

And see the screenshot obtained using your workaround..

As you can see MSP 8 will use the background track on V1 in the the transition
    It's a strange (and a bit not logical..) behaviour.. At the beginning I'd think it was a bug..

Another workaround with better result.. but far from Rtx.100 style:

- Background Video on V1 in the main timeline
    - Create a new timeline: insert in V1 the title and in V2 a black color clip. Use the same method described by Brian
    - Insert the nested timeline on the main timeline as Virtual clip
    - Apply Overlay -> Luma Channel and play with the Opacity Slider..

I hope that.. someone like Stefan Burger (Burgertransition creator) will develope a video filter similar to the Rtx.100 one..

Another solution.. (but you have to pay for it..) is Canopus Xlpode that works as plugin for MSP and have this capabilities..
    Attached Files
    T-rex / Raptor www.videomakers.net
    Italian Editing Video Forum

Comment

T-Rex is correct Brian. The RT.X100's ability to apply a transition as if it were a video filter gives you a much nicer result as you don't see the curls "frame" at all, just the curled text. IMO implementing it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

This is going to be one of my major, ahem, "suggestions" for SP1....right up there with Beziers for the moving path dialog.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

OK, thanks. I've never seen the Matrox RT.Xn effect, so I had no metre stick by which to measure it. However, TRex's method of using a 2nd timeline is also interesting. At the least, these methods widen the scope of effects for titles by using transitions as pseudo-filters, even if they do not simulate those produced by other manufacturers.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to use the transitions directly on titles: maybe in the future?
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Here's how they work using a page curl applied to a title clip;

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
          X