PCIe x16 graphics adapters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCIe x16 graphics adapters...

Looking for one and besides the Matrox APVe (multi-head & HD out) I've also been looking at the Chaintech AE6800 Apogee (GeForce 6800 PCIe 256MB). I see 'em around for about $200 and then read this review;

HardwareZone is the leading online technology portal in Asia Pacific gives you latest tech Updates, technology news, products & gadgets reviews and more.

Obviously I'm interested in dualhead at least, 1080i HD output, desktop image quality and clarity for video editing.

Comments?

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I've been looking at the GeForce 7800 GT myself. Plenty of 3D power, plus hardware MPEG-2 and with NVDVD you can get a high quality HD video scaler ... from what I've read, the best one on the consumer software market. They are a lot pricier than the 6800, but I figure it will last me longer and is SLI compatible for the future. Though I'm waiting for the Crossfire to be released from ATi before I decide on which multi-GPU system I choose.

For about the same price you can get an ATi X850 XT. They are about the same game wise and 3D acceleration (depending on the game) wise.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Don't give a whit about gaming, but care a lot about bang/buck and 1080i HD output.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Note that APVe doesn't have 64-bit drivers yet and you as a person who tries new things/betatests might not like that.

If you need PCIe card, a 6600 or 6200 might also do, provided they meet other requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          Don't give a whit about gaming, but care a lot about bang/buck and 1080i HD output.

Dr. Mordrid
          Ah yes. Well, the 7800-series does have HDTV output that's supposed to be better than average, especially if you are playing back DVD. Here is what I'm refering to:

Read that page and the next.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Keep in mind that nVidia cards currently seem to have problems playing HD res video problem-free in VMR9 mode except in VMR9 renderless exclusive, which is rather restrictive for stuff like player menus and stuff.

Lots of info about this on the AVSForums' HTPC forum.

Comment

btw Doc, how's the new system coping with PCI-hungry RT X?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                btw Doc, how's the new system coping with PCI-hungry RT X?
                Haven't had time to test it yet given the MSPro 8 beta schedule. Maybe this weekend if I'm lucky.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                X