MSP 8 does not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSP 8 does not start

Installed the preview but... nothing!. I tried Veditor, Capture, nada. Some disk activity for a few seconds, then nothing. I use a dual screen NVidia based graphics card on this machine, so decided to turn off second monitor ("extend my desktop to this monitor" in Display Properties). Did a repair of MSPro 8, that did not solve the problem.

I'll report the problem to Ulead, but in the meantime does anyone here have any idea?

Fred

Not without a full set of system/OS specs, the age of the OS install etc.

My guess is that some other installed utility or plugin is conflicting. That or a screwed DirectX install or mal/adware etc., which is what killed MSPro on my wifes machine before I rebuilt it.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Terry,

This system is a Dell Dimension 4600, P4 3.2 Ghz, 1.5 GB RAM running XP Pro SP2. Since this is not a dedicated video machine I can't even start to list all the stuff I have installed here over the last 2 years (I use it for business software development and lots of other things).

Since MSPro is still under development I was thinking the developers must have enabled some debug functions that create log files when the software starts. That would be useful for me to check if you know about their existence and what switch to use when starting MSPro.

Fred

Comment

Not many log files in beta versions without log-generating dll's used when we find a problem.

What would be useful is if you would go to the MSP8 report page and report the error. VERY useful would be the Event Viewer entries, if any, for veditor.exe, veditor.dat etc.

My feeling is that it's a conflict with other software installed on the system, the display drivers and/or a DirectX problem. The latter is often caused wnen installed programs mess with Dx for their own purposes.

Running c:/windows/system32/dxdiag.exe might find the problem, but not likely. I'd probably start by uninstalling the display drivers, rebooting then refreshing the DirectX 9.0c installation followed by the latest version of the display drivers.

If this doesn't help I'd next start the Dr. Watson monitor before running MSP8 from a fresh boot;

C:/windows/system32/drwatson.exe

After the failure run the Dr. Watson report program and see if anything gets reported there.

C:/windows/system32/drwtsn32.exe

"View" the report and of there is anything pertinent for veditor.exe, right click over it and "Select All". Paste this into Notepad (it'll be large) and pass it along.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 September 2005, 12:35.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Terry,

All I could find was the Ulead feedback form that specifically says they don't want technical feedback. Can you please tell me where to report the problem?

I ran dxdiag and everything is fine. Our T1 line is down so I can't download fresh drivers from ATI, the card is actually a Radeon 9800.

No entry in the event logs either. I don't get any error message at all to report, it just does not start. What is funny is that the 30 days countdown has not started even though I installed the software and clicked on TRY more than 24 hours ago.

I'll run Dr Watson when I have a moment. Thanks for the help.

Fred

Comment

Are you using ultramon or somesuch utility for multiple displays or cloning that might install virtual displays that might be enumerated before real displays by Windows and cause problems?

Comment

They aren't providing technical support, but this isn't support...it's a potential bug report.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X