Hosting advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting advice?

Friend of mine has a domain already, he wants to be reccommended a hosting company, that will host a simple website , he will design it himself, he wants people to be able to download free mp3's / wma from the site. Just a few mixes, not expected to be very high traffic.

Know of anyone who can help / any reccommendations in the UK?
    Last edited by Fluff; 1 September 2005, 13:22. Reason: was a doughnut and typed the wrong title

I started using dreamhost.com and so far so good. If you sign up now you get 4.8GB of disk space plus it increases 40MB a week. You also get 120GB of bandwidth per month and that increases weekly(or monthly) as well.

Plus, if you use coupon code "Save69Bucks" they will take off $69 off your order.

And last, if you use the link below, I will get a referral of $97. Of course, if your buddy signs up and refers someone he gets the same referral bonus.

http://www.dreamhost.com/rewards.cgi?helevitia

So basically, if he signs up for a year, he gets the entire year for $50.00.

Of course you get the normal 600 email accounts, free domain name, phpp, mysql, etc....
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

BTW, don't take my word for it, ask around about dreamhost. Others here at MURC have suggested them as well. If you search for Dreamhost, you will see the other threads. I heard Godaddy is good also.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Bit of a dumb question, can he use dreamweaver to make the site then upload / maintain it easily himself?

Any issue with having mp3's on a website?

Cheers for the ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff
          Bit of a dumb question, can he use dreamweaver to make the site then upload / maintain it easily himself?

Any issue with having mp3's on a website?

Cheers for the ideas.
          Yes he can use Dreamweaver(I do)

You can host any file you want, it is your website. The question is, are these MP3's ripped from copyrighted CD's? Or are they some other kind of MP3? I don't think any legitimate hosting service will allow illegal activity if that is what you are asking?

Comment

They are analog recordings of dj's playing at some of the nights he organised.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff
              They are analog recordings of dj's playing at some of the nights he organised.
              Oh, that is no problem at all. He can host as many files as he has disk space.

Comment

Working...
              X