Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nowhere's butt project

(sorry, couldn't resist the title)

So it seems I'll have something to do during Autumn, Winter and part of Spring. Uhmm...not really, because probably 3h a week, in Saturday or Sunday, will be absolute overkill, but stil...

And I've thought about it for the last 7 years...finally the time has come, I think.

I present: boats made by "stitched plywood" method, unbelievably quick, easy and cheap (common materials) way to build a small sailing boat. The results are also very light (two of the options weight less than me, so they don't even have to be hauled - they can be put on the roof of a car) and strong (order of magnitude stronger than laminate of the same weight). Because of their low weight and technology of build some very effective, in tacking, body profiles are also possible. And did I mention they're cheap when you build them yourself? (and of course when not pursuing some luxury workmanship) Building will be much, much, much cheaper than renting comparable boat for the next vacation (it would be fun to wander, during next year vacation, on lakeland (hundreds of interconnected lakes) that occupies most of N Poland, in a two-person boat, sometimes with accompying other/friend's ones). And...all this boats have sails small enough to not require "sailman license" ("patent" here), with which situation is rather ridicule here: I just want to be able go for a two days somewhere, more than enough time to pass all the exams if you know the theory already and can sail , instead the only option is to buy some 2x overpriced, two week minimum, camp :/
    The choice can be summed up:
    1) license, no money for renting boat...but hey, you could use one that has 10,1 m^2 sail.
    2) we have boat with 9,9 m^2 sail (the ones below have even less in reality) and still money for 1 month of only sailing.

I'm still before choosing the design:

Jolka
    Fast and fun. Open stern. Of course unsinkable and self-rising after capsize. (as all other) Now the best part...45kg (fully equipped) - easy transport.

(mine would never have such worksmanchip though)

But...just showing this beauty to you basically, I won't choose it for sure: it's too small to see use in any other role than weekend recreation boat :/

Mistral/Bambi
    Close/open stern. Plans for first one are "open source" (they were printed in one mag in the 80's), which is somehow nice since I wouldn't have to buy plans/license from the constructor if I wanted the boat to be registered (probably it won't be anyway - and it can be that way here, boats shorter than 5m doesn't have to be registered). 50kg, so transport on roof of car still doable. Both also fun and quite fast...but obviously not as fast as the first one :>
    Still a bit on the small side...with two full backpacks and a tent onboard it would be good for carefull transport of all of this, not "fun sailing"...so we'd have to depend on some larger boat with which we'd have to meet every 2 or 3 days...
    OTOH the constructor is a nice guy...he could redesign it slightly: a bit larger, but not enough to not be transported on a car, with some basic cabin. But then I'd have to buy plans...

Dingo/Manta
    Now this would be comfortable...but 250kg, not only bigger cost of materials but also cost of necessary trailer. Also, using oars in canals/rivers with this boat would irritate the hell people waiting behind you - buying some small motor would be a must. Unrealistic unfortunatelly - besides it has issues: there's a place for 3 persons to sleep, so there's a danger that somebody will join "basic crew" (not an issue with other boats - with 3 persons they are badly overwight)

Things to do worth of notice:
    - convince the janitor of my dorm with 0,5 of vodka that finding in the basement free place 5m x 3m (from which finished body could be taken out - quite important) wide isn't a problem...
    - pretending to be friend with someone from wood tech institute from tech uni in my city - I'll be able to cut the parts with incredible precision without the need to get 1:1 plans

Or perhaps...finding some other constructions...perhaps someone here can propose something? I've had a hard time finding some extensive info on EN part of the net, mostly articles "oh, look at this unused method, it's so nice!"

Fun project, huh?
    Last edited by Nowhere; 30 August 2005, 16:12.

Sailing is fun. I've been a few times and it was just awesome.I'd want a bigger boat for what i wanna do though. *caugh*fishing*cough*
    Last edited by ZokesPro; 30 August 2005, 19:52. Reason: I thought you really meant a project on your arse. :P
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I wonder what was the roiginal post... (Sasq? ) and btw, you want to fish or you want to sail?

Thinking out loud: Too bad I haven't decideda little earlier...one week of moderatelly intensive work and the kayak would be ready...together with some experience...
      Oh well, apparently it's easy enough anyway :>

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
        ) and btw, you want to fish or you want to sail?
        Both, definitely!
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
        X