• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ulead Announces Free Beta Preview

Have a look at http://www.ulead.com.tw/ulead/UDNews...ssReleases.htm

$399.99 for the full package but no details of an upgrade price yet

Yup, it's live now

Just for the record: it still has bugs, so either install it to a dualboot or ghost your primary install first. It's pretty well behaved and does un-install, though I'd also delete references to it in Documents and Settings as well.

Also note that the proper place to report bugs/problems is at the link provided, not the normal user forums That said if you have questions feel free...

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

A fast question Doc:

MSP8 is optimized for Intel P4, AMD 64 or it doesnt matter what CPU do you have?

Optimal CPU speed for HD editing without proxies?

I'm thinking to upgrade my computer and I'm AMD fan, but Premiere PRO is Intel P4 optimized, and lot of video apps.

I am with AMD since K-5, then K-6, and now AMD Ahtlon XP 2600+ that is a little old now.

Thanks.

Comment

Well, the beta testers have AMD 32s, AMD 64s and Pentiums, all of various configurations, and we never experienced any CPU-specific problems, as I recall.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

First impressions:

Good:

- Working with nested-timelines and virtual clip is fantastic

- Finally a good color correction filter.

- 5.1 Audio Encoder

- All the new feature are really useful.

MSP 8 will be better if... (a sort of MSP 9 WishList)

- We can use some transition as "video filter" (like RTX.100 Page Curl that can be applied on a Text keeping the alpha channel)

- We can use others overlay mode (like height map and displacement map like Sony Vegas)

- We can use Bezier Curves for Moving Path.. Also a simple drop shadow option for moving paths will be useful.

- We can have a button for "split screen" (for filters on/off comparison) like sony Vegas

Current Beta "Bugs"

- I can't hear audio from Audio Mixer Panel in Multichannel (5.1) mode.

Comments ?
          Last edited by T-rex; 31 August 2005, 07:55.
          T-rex / Raptor www.videomakers.net
          Italian Editing Video Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
            Well, the beta testers have AMD 32s, AMD 64s and Pentiums, all of various configurations, and we never experienced any CPU-specific problems, as I recall.

Yes, but I want to know if uses, for example, HT, SS3 or similar things that AMD don't have.
            Or if there will be a 64 bits version, then I go straight AMD 64.

I'm testing the beta version. Is awesome. Capture interface is very well redesigned. Is similar than Premiere Pro but I think is more easy to understand.

Question: can I assign a letter, or F key to do a CUT AT EDIT LINE like premiere?. I know SHIFT+S but is not precise (because it works with mouse) as arrows keys and do a CUT AT EDIT LINE (is very asseful).

Why to avoid insert and overlay button/key like premiere at source window? (eeer, or there is a key hidden?).

Why not add edit buttons like EDIT DV (yes, a very old program) that I think that is the basic that you need for editing (and add all buttons Ulead needs for this great program)?
            It was a mixture of premiere, ulead and something else more. Very clever.

Thanks.
            Attached Files

Comment

Mediastudio 8 Test: Day Two.

Effects Manager

The effect manager solves one of the biggest problem of older version of Mediastudio..
              With MSP 7, when using a filter, in the filter preview window you see the effect of that filter.. but applied to the original footage. If you apply two or more filter.. you can only "guess" what will be the result..

Now in MSP 8, the problem is not only solved, but you can also "hide" a filter with a mouse click. Well done Ulead

Side note for beta testers ad for Ulead .. If you open a filter with the "old method", without using the effect manager, you see the "old" effect setting windows with the "old"problem... Probably it's not a bug.. but i think it's a bit confusing.

New titler

As posted by Dr.Mordrid, you can now create multy layered title.
              A kerning and tracking control will be useful.. (there is a leading/line space control now..)

Question for beta testers

Any news for CG Infinity or Video Paint ?
              Last edited by T-rex; 1 September 2005, 05:01.

Comment

Can't talk about release features etc. That's still NDA turf, sorry.

The "legacy" dialogs are there by intent. They can also be called up from within the Effects Manager using the last icon on the right under the effects list. Call 'em legacy support for upgraders or whatever.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 September 2005, 07:33.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I've posted others suggestion in the Ulead forum:

I think, that an important feature for audio editing in Mediastudio will be the option to set (as in Premiere Pro) the timeline ruler (and the zoom level) to audio units.. Only with this feature you can have a perfect audio sync useful for works like slideshows..

An internal highpass/lowpass filter will be also useful (to easily create the .1 channel in a 5.1 soundtrack)

What do you think ?

Comment

I don't know if this bug has been reported:

If you import an .ufo file with alpha channel created with photoimpact (in the "Product Overview" Ulead talk about this new feature..) you obtain strange result.. (see screenshot).. No problems using .tga files
                    Attached Files

Comment

Noted. I'll report it through the beta channel.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Now I'm playing with Color Correction

A guide and some tips will be useful

Notes:
                        1. MSP 8 uses a "strange" color wheel.. I think it's not "user friendly" as the one you can find in other NLE (Vegas, Final Cut etc..)
                        2. There isn't a "complementary color" eye-dropper. Using this tool (like in Vegas or Final Cut...) you can easily correct an image with three mouse click (one for shadows, one for midtones and one for highlights)

Found another bug (small one):

Color Correction Filter -> Curve:

The "user control points" check box don't work correctly:

To reproduce the bug:
                        -Activate that option and change the shape of the curve
                        -Switch to Red(or Blue or Green) Channel. Now The check box is flagged but the option is not active. You have to click another time to use the control points....

Comment

The color correction interface is still a work in progress, but your suggestions are well taken. Ulead is monitoring this and other forums, so they'll get the message.

As for the high-low-band pass filter, there are a ton of free VST filters that do this on the 'net and MSPro 7 and 8 both support VST plugins so why re-invent the wheel? Just copy the filters *.dll into (msp install folder)/aft_plug/VST. In MSP7 you have to create this folder, but MSP8 it's already there. You access its interface using the Customized Dialog button in Effects Manager.

Try Googling "vst plugin freeware" and see how many hits you get, but understand that many VST plugins are not filters but instruments or even games

Dr. Mordrid
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 September 2005, 14:50.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                          X