Superstorm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superstorm

Hurricane Katrina is a category 5 monster, but being a larger, slower moving hurricane, it will probably mellow before landfall.. still, something this intense will remain pretty bad even so. If it hits New Orleans directly.. bleh what a mess.
    Attached Files

Just heard that GWB has ALREADY declared LA and MS disaster areas, to make relief efforts move more quickly. Let's hope everyone leaves New Orleans.. anyone who stays will probably die.

Comment

I was just watching this on Fox News and thinking, "Holy Shit! 175MPH winds!". This one is gonna be pretty devestating.

I've been in one category 1 Hurricane. Winds were 90-100MPH. I was 12 so the winds felt very stong to me. I can't even imagine 175MPH. Sheesh!
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Dont worry.

Its still cheaper to repair than to lower the national CO2 output.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

I dunno, once the storm surge backs up into the mississippi river you're talking about the levies failing, and in turn the pumping system also failing. That kind of catastrophic disaster is the kind that causes insurance companies to go bankrupt... we're talking damage in the hundres of billions of dollars. Hurricane Andrew in 1992 is currently the costliest at over 26billion in damages.
          Some info from people talking about likely damage:

"In worst-case scenarios, most of New Orleans would end up under 15 feet of water, without electricity, clean water and sewage for as long as six months. Even pumping the water out could take as long as four months to get started because the massive pumps that would do the job would be underwater."

"After Betsy these levies were designed for a Category 3," said Sheriff Jeff Hingle of Placquemines Parish, just southeast of New Orleans. "You're now looking at a Category 5. You're looking at a storm that is as strong as Camille was, but bigger than Betsy was size-wise. These levies will not hold the water back. So we're urging people to leave. You're looking at these levies having 10 feet of water over the top of them easily."
          I have a feeling we won't be seeing New Orleans in its present condition again.
          Last edited by rylan; 28 August 2005, 12:27.

Comment

If it's anything like my wife of the same name when she's mad... better watch out.

Apparently, the Mayor of New Orleans has called for an order that the city will be shut down once the winds reach 35mph. Which is wise given how fast hurricane generated winds can pick up.
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

agreed, I've only ever dealt with Maine tornadoes so i really can't compare, but I'm glad I'm up north. I wish anyone that's dealing with this the best of luck.
              Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Get ready to hold on your ankles with Gas prices also...they are shutting down the oil rigs in the Gulf now. I wouldnt be the least bit suprised to see gas go over 70 bucks a barrel this week...ugh
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                  Get ready to hold on your ankles with Gas prices also...they are shutting down the oil rigs in the Gulf now. I wouldnt be the least bit suprised to see gas go over 70 bucks a barrel this week...ugh
                  With 1/3 of oil imports stopped since midday Saturday & the possibility major damage to refining capacity, I expect it to go over $70 within hours of when the market opens tomorrow morining. I think it will easily go over $80 by the week end.

Comment

And Julie has to go to New Orleans in two weeks, I hope they're up and running again by then.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

The rigs were shut down 24 hours ago at the latest. Onshore is finishing tonight.

Comment

We only get paltry winds and rain up here from the tail ends of these storms. I can't even imagine the full force of a category 5 hurricane.

Comment

google cyclone tracey. 1974.
                          the year santa never came.
                          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                            No need to wait for the storm to hit. Fear has pushed oil up to $70 before landfall!

Wow, $80? Depending on the damage done a spike to $90 might not be out of the question.
                            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Just read this interesting piece of info:

Katrina had a central pressure -- a measure of a storm's intensity -- of 904 millibars, which would make it one of the four strongest storms on record.
                              I've never heard of "central pressure" when referring to a hurricane. Anybody want to elaborate on it?
                              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X