Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camera bag

Hello,

I'm in the market for a camera bag, perferably a backpack. I would like it to hold the following equipment:
    camera body (Nikon D100), Nikon AF 17-55 f/2.8, Nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8, Nikon SB-800 (flash), a GPS (most likely Garmin 96C), some accessories and room to spare for future upgrades.

I wonder if it is convenient to fit a laptop along with it (i.e. to use it as carry-on luggage when travelling), what do you think?

I'm looking at the LowePro range, and consider these options at the moment:
    CompuTrekker Plus AW for a model that holds a laptop as well. But what is the deal with the All Weather cover? It looks to me like something to cover the backpack when it rains, but does this mean the backpack itself (without the cover) allows water to enter?

Dryzone 200 looks also very interesting: it is waterproof (and floats), so heavy rain shouldn't bother it. But this could be overkill (and does not truly support a laptop - I have seen a review where somebody managed to put it in as well), as I don't really need the waterproof thing...

What do you guys use?
    And what would you do?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Well - if you really want a great bag, you can't go wrong with Lightware. They're more expensive, but they're built like tanks.

The comparable backpacks are the BP1417 and the BP2214. Make sure you're sitting down when you look at the prices though

- Steve

Disclaimer: I know the owner of the company, but I have no financial stake in it.

Comment

- undestructible

- it will outliv you

- cult item!

Comment

I couldn't seem to find interior pictures of the Lightware bags...

This is what I'm currently thinking: I don't have a laptop (and have decided to postpone the purchase of one for a while). I could go for the Dryzone, which I could use now as camera bag (and later in more extreme circumstances), and later get another one which for other uses...

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Well, I have the Lowepro Dryzone (will post some images later). It is larger than expected and holds the following (at the moment):
          • D100 with Nikon AFS DX 17-55 f/2.8 (solar hood mounted)
          • Nikon AF-D 80-200 f/2.8
          • Nikon AF-D 24-85 f/2.8-4 (solar hood mounted)
          • Nikon SB-800 (flash) + spare batteries
          • D100 charger + cables
          • various filters (72 and 77 mm)

and has room to spare (most likely for a GPS later). I also haven't organised the compartements in the best possible way (more puzzling could allow a more optimal use of the available space). The front pocket holds the CF cards and other small things (perhaps easier if my filters are here); my tripod can be attached to the back of it.

When it is full, it does wheigh a lot, but the bag is quite comfortable (more fine tuning needed after I have walked for longer periods with it). It even adjusts for different torso lenghts. The water proof zipper is quite tight to close, but it doesn't need to be closed for normal circumstances (the bag inside it has its own zipper).

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Working...
          X