.pdf creation software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .pdf creation software?

Does anyone have a preferred .pdf creation tool? Acrobat is getting on for £300 here which is way over the top. Google has lots of hits on 'pdf creation' but I have no idea how accurate or reliable they are, or how well they'll integrate wiith Word.

Any recommendations gratefully received

T.
    FT.

The open source PDF Creator does a fine job:
    Download PDFCreator for free. Converts every printable document to PDF, JPG, PNG, TIF and more. PDFCreator creates professional PDFs with just a few clicks and it's free. PDFCreator comes with many professional features to merge documents, send emails, and more.

It just adds a printer, to which you can print from any application.

We have had issues with abnormally large formats (A0 poster and such), but for normal documents I actually prefer it over Acrobat software...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Try Ghostscript/Ghostview

I use it to convert prn files to pdf. I have never had a problem with it.

Another I have heard good things about is PDF995.
      pdf995 is the fast, affordable way to create professional-quality documents in the popular PDF file format. (Win 95, 98, 2000 and Me, NT 4.0 and XP).

dshumake

Comment

There are a lot of these virtual PDF printers around.. CutePDF is the one I've used.
        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Open Office works for me

Comment

After looking at the sourceforge site I see that pdfcreator is using ghostscript but with a different license.

dshumake

Comment

To echo dbdg, OOo works fine for me too.
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I use SolidConverterPDF from SolidDocuments. It has the added benefit of being able to convert PDF to Word. It can only convert Word documents to PDF though. For other applications we use Win2PDF.
                P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Also latest (beta 2) OpenOffice can export directly to pdf, and there's also ExtendedPDF macro with advanced options

Comment

www.pdfonline.com is quite nice.

Comment

Thanks Guys Helpful as ever
                      FT.

Comment

another vote for PDF Creator. It and PDF writer (was cutepdf) are both excellent, free and small
                        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I see an awful lot of bug/problems in the sourceforge fori...I guess its ok for you guys, but will the average user be able to install it ok? This is strictly for a "user"
                          FT.

Comment

OOo perhaps after all? (but seriously...the other option rather works as it should...)

Comment

Working...
                            X