PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded missing HAL.DLL error....

Dr Mordrid
23rd August 2005, 10:23
OK...my system took a crapper last week and I made some changes.

All is working well in my personal bootup, in fact this A64 runs like hell. The problem is getting the dualboot up and running. By now I'm so brain-fried I can't think straight, so...

The setup is as follows;

Personal bootup: Primary IDE master (partition 1)
Beta bootup: Primary IDE slave (partition 1)

I can install the beta partition with no problem, but once it's finished the trouble starts. The first thing I do is change the name of the bootup in DM/Advanced and install the Santa Cruz drivers then reboot.

As soon as I reboot and select the beta bootup from the boot menu it craps out with the HAL.DLL missing crap.

Any ideas?

I've already tried doing an automatic repair and using the console to rebuild the boot, so don't suggest those.

Would it be better to use partition 2 of the Primary Master?

If I can't get this fixed soon I'm gonna KILL something :mad: :mad:

Dr. Mordrid

Technoid
23rd August 2005, 10:28
OK...my system took a crapper last week and I made some changes.

All is working well in my personal bootup, in fact this A64 runs like hell. The problem is getting the dualboot up and running.

The setup is as follows;

I can install the beta partition with no problem, but once it's finished the trouble starts. The first thing I do is change the name of the bootup in DM/Advanced and install the Santa Cruz drivers then reboot.

As soon as I reboot and select the beta bootup from the boot menu it craps out with the HAL.DLL missing crap.

Any ideas?

I've already tried doing an automatic repair and using the console to rebuild the boot, so don't suggest those.

Would it be better to use partition 2 of the Primary Master?

If I can't get this fixed soon I'm gonna KILL something :mad: :mad:

Dr. Mordrid

Have you tried installing and rebooting without messing with boot.ini or installing the sounddrivers?

Dr Mordrid
23rd August 2005, 10:34
Several times....

Dr. Mordrid

KvHagedorn
23rd August 2005, 11:39
Take it out back and shoot it with the black powder rifle. That'll show it. ;)

Seriously.. dual booting is easier with a removable drive. :)

schmosef
23rd August 2005, 11:51
Can you quote a copy of your boot.ini? Seems like something that we should be able to help you fix.

Chucky Cheese
23rd August 2005, 13:35
...agreed...lets have a look at the boot.ini !!

so there are 2 system partitions on the same cable...just on different drives

cc

schmosef
23rd August 2005, 14:55
My guess is that the partition location for your beta install needs some tweaking.

Do you mean that you used the console to repair the boot.ini? Or just try to repair the windows installation?

If all else fails I'd try a third party boot manager program. PQ Boot Magic is pretty good, and it can give you complete isolation of your installations. You have to create a small FAT32 partition to install it into though.

Dr Mordrid
23rd August 2005, 17:38
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Personal" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP BETA" /fastdetect
BTW: for some reason the forum is printing the default='s "WINDOWS" text as "WINDOW S" unless I put quotes areound it as in this sentence. Weird....

Thing is the problem started as soon as I renamed the beta install without changing anything else.

Is there a registry entry for multiboots that this might affect?

EDIT:

I reinstalled the beta partition again and this time used MSCONFIG to re-order the bootups and make the personal install the default. Got the HAL.DLL error again :mad:

Dr. Mordrid

spadnos
23rd August 2005, 19:15
What's in the boot.ini on the second drive?

According to this page (http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/2337), you should have a boot.ini on the second disk, that only knows about its own boot partition.

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(0)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 on 2nd Drive" (this assumes you have WinNT, but I'd hope that XP is the same, with the appropriate directory name change)

See if that works, and we can google some more if not.

- Steve

Dr Mordrid
23rd August 2005, 19:26
XP returned to using the WINDOWS folder, but otherwise they look the same.

That said this didn't work. I have the same boot.ini on both and it still can't find HAL.DLL.

Gawd.....

Dr. Mordrid

spadnos
23rd August 2005, 21:47
It looked to me (from that article) like the boot.ini on the second drive shouldn't mention the first drive. You should only have the entry for the installation on the second drive.

- Steve

Dr Mordrid
23rd August 2005, 22:44
OK....it appears my modding of the boot.ini has nothing to do with it. My latest try involved just pulling the WinXP CD and rebooting after the install finished. It STILL throws the HAL.DLL error :confused:

I think I'll go sharpen my Hari Kari knife....

Dr. Mordrid

Chucky Cheese
24th August 2005, 01:08
...it seems to me that you shouldn't need a boot.ini on the second drive...the arc path on the first drives boot.ini should tell it where to go for the boot code

can you try this??

cc

Dr Mordrid
24th August 2005, 09:37
I've tried it without a boot.ini on the second drive (this is how the installer set it up) and with a dup of the one on the main bootup copied over. No difference.

This is getting weird.

I did an install where I wiped the partition, reformatted, installed SP2 immediately and made it a point to not even look at the boot.ini crossways. IT REBOOTED!!

So....I proceed to install drivers.

I started with the Santa Cruz (no reboot necessary) and the RAID's drivers followed by a reboot. SUCESS!!

Next came the graphics tablet (no reboot) and the ATI Catalyst 5.8 drivers. SUCESS AGAIN!!

So now I'm figuring all is well, so I reboot to my bootable Ghost CD, do a backup and try booting back into BETA to install a few utilities and software....

HAL.DLL is missing AGAIN!! http://digitalvideo.8m.net/emoticon/wall.gifhttp://digitalvideo.8m.net/emoticon/wall.gif

Next stop: restore the Ghost and see if it works.

Dr. Mordrid

schmosef
24th August 2005, 09:46
I have an account at experts-exchange.com. I'm looking through the articles to see what other people have done in your situation. One person fixed this problem by running scandisk. I guess it doesn't hurt for you to try. I'll keep looking for more advice.

Dr Mordrid
24th August 2005, 09:47
I'll give scandisk a try.

Right about now I'd even consider an exorcism :rolleyes:

Dr. Mordrid

schmosef
24th August 2005, 09:49
r u using any kind of Drive Overlay software? That seems to cause problems for XP.

schmosef
24th August 2005, 09:50
In that vein, it could be something with the overlay (LBA) implementation in your BIOS. Maybe you should check if there's a newer version.

schmosef
24th August 2005, 09:52
A lot of people are linking to this page for advice: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm.

I'm not sure if there's anything there for you but take a look.

Check through this too: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_masc.asp
and this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

(but I assume you meant that you already tried rebuilding the boot.ini from the recovery console)

Dr Mordrid
24th August 2005, 10:44
I've been in and out of the recovery console too often to count.

Followup: neither scandisk or rebuilding from the Ghost file worked.

Could be that I'll just have to install it on another partition of the main bootups physical HDD instead of a second HDD.

The post-brownout 120g Maxtor RMA is due to arrive tomorrow night, so we'll see then if that strategy works when it arrives.

Meanwhile I guess I'll have to go with building the beta drive as a removable so I can get some beta work done.

You'd think that with all the problems people have with this in WinXP (Win2K was no problem at all) that M$ would fix it, but I guess they're waiting for VISTA so they can charge for it :mad: :mad:

Dr. Mordrid

schmosef
24th August 2005, 11:04
have you considered using a partition manager/boot manager?

Dr Mordrid
24th August 2005, 16:56
Yeah. I tried using BootMagic and it gave less than stellar results.

I'm just going to use the drive as a removable boot drive 'til tomorrow when the replacement 120g gets here. Then I can try it on a partition of the same drive & see what happens.

Dr. Mordrid

schmosef
24th August 2005, 18:10
Is the beta install in a primary or logical partition? Maybe try switching partition types?

Chucky Cheese
25th August 2005, 00:00
Dr,

is the beta partition marked as a GPT disk.. this is a quote from the help and support utility within XP

On Itanium-based computers, creates a Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition on a GUID Partition Table (GPT) disk.

Caution

Be very careful when using the create partition msr command. Because GPT disks require a specific partition layout, creating Microsoft reserved partitions could cause the disk to become unreadable. On GPT disks that are used to start Windows XP 64-Bit Edition, the EFI System partition is the first partition on the disk, followed by the Microsoft Reserved partition. GPT disks used only for data storage do not have an EFI System partition; the Microsoft Reserved partition is the first partition.
Windows XP 64-Bit Edition does not mount Microsoft reserved partitions. You cannot store data on them and you cannot delete them.

the root command is diskpart...i can't help but wonder if your looking at a problem related to this...you have tried everything else

cc