1394b host adapter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1394b host adapter...

I have three firewire devices, two of them 1394a: Sony D8 camera and an ADVC-100. I'm considering a Firewire RAID box with 1394b.

What would be a good 1394b host adapter to consider? Does anyone make an adapter with two 9-pin connectors, plus two 4/6 pin connectors?

If not, what is considered a rock soild device?

I have this one:

but it is a 64-bit, 133 MHz PCI-X card... (not PCI-Express!)

I think multiple FW800 ports on a single card will saturate a PCI bus.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Well shucks, I just discovered that my current Mobo only has 32-bit PCI...does that mean I'm SOL for firewire 800? Is 800Mbs speed only attainable with PCI-64?

Comment

No, I don't think so... I just meant that multiple FW800 busses on a single device could saturate the bus. But this doesn't mean such cards don't exist (gigabit ethernet cards can also saturate a PCI bus, yet they also exist ).

Just checked: Belkin, Lacie and Synchrotech don't have 32-bit PCI FW800 cards...

I have found this one (via google, so no experience with it):

But as said before, I'm not sure you'll reach the FW800 datarates (but you'll be able to connect an FW800 device).

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
        X