• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap upgrade?

It's getting about time to upgrade our antique system:
    • Asus TUSL2-C motherboard, i815EP based
    • Celeron Tualatin 1.2 GHz at 1.42 GHz, 118 FSB
    • 512 megs PC133 at 118 MHz, CAS2

Trying to keep the cost below $300-$400, what would ya'll recommend? I'd prefer an AMD processor, but as far as motherboard chipsets go I have don't have a clue these days.

Interesting, $296.31 shipped from newegg with a gig of PNY PC3200, the K8N, a Sempron 64 3000+, and a Thermaltake 420w PS. I'll probably get that in a week or so unless something else comes up, thanks!

Comment

What are you doing with your old machine? (see sig )

Comment

Ended up spending more than I intended because the K8N went out of stock, figured it was a sign to go all the way to PCI-Express...
        • AMD Sempron 64 3400+
        • Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
        • 1 gig of PNY PC3200
        • Gigabyte GV-RX70P128D Radeon X700 Pro ( a bargin at only $109 )
        • 400 watt Fortron Source power supply

Total was $500 shipped, not too horribly expensive I guess... now just to wait for it to arrive.

Comment

Nowhere for 20.000 SIT or 83,33€ + shipping this dual capable Intergraph in perfect working order is yours (XP installed) if you're into dual fetish.

Comment

Nah, not fetish, I just got some old (not even used...some spares) dual mobo extremelly cheaply, used it for second machine, and have come to like some aspects of dual CPU...so I'm waiting now for cheap modern dual solutions (I wonder how soon, if ever, Semprons will be in dual core flawours...)

But...have you considered stripping the machine and ridding of the case separatelly?

Comment

We plan on using the old parts to eventually build another system, we've read about this new computer technology called a "LAN" and want to see how it works.

Comment

Working...
              X