Light faster than the speed of light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light faster than the speed of light?

A team of researchers from the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) has successfully demonstrated, for the first time, that it is possible to control the speed of light – both slowing it down and speeding it up – in an optical fiber, using off-the-shelf instrumentation in normal environmental conditions. Their results, to be published in the August 22 issue of Applied Physics Letters, could have implications that range from optical computing to the fiber-optic telecommunications industry.

[A team of international scientists nobody heard of] were able not only to slow light down by a factor of three from its well – established speed c of 300 million meters per second in a vacuum, but they've also accomplished the considerable feat of speeding it up – making light go faster than the speed of light.

What next?

Kevin

time travel in a tardis?
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Black hole powered wormholes?

Comment

Gwunkas in bunka kwunks!?!?
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Looks like they're using a seperate beam of light to generate phonons in the glass.

Comment

Working...
          X