PC Pro reviews non-Matrix triplehead system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Pro reviews non-Matrix triplehead system

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but in a way it does affect Matrox.

The Oct 2005 issue 132 of UK PC Pro (imho the best print PC magazine by far) has reviewed a triplehead display by Cube247 (www.cube247.com) that uses a radeon X300 card and radeon x300 onboard to power 3 19" tfts. I'll transcribe a bit here:

The multiple-monitor magic is handled by ATI's Hydravision system. The passively cooled X300 card (With one DVI and one D-SUB VGA) is paired with the onboard X300 chipset ... which has an extra D-SUB connector to provide independent signals for all 3 monitors. From there, they're configured through WIndows' standard extended Desktop system... The 3 19" GNR monitors can be tilted, swivelled and pivoted to portrain orientation (ATI's driver allows you to adjust the video image to fit), and there's even height adjustment.....

...Image quality is bright and clear - fine for most applications - but poor colour range and accuracy don't make them suited to professional image or video use. Two of the 3 monitors use VGA outputs, while 1 uses DVI. In normal use, it wasn't obvious which was which, but our pixel tracking tests revealed significant pixel jitter over the analogue connections, even when the panels were showing a consistent shade of grey.
    There is no mention of Matrox triplehead anywhere in the article. I guess they wanted to keep costs down by using the ATIs instead of anything fancy like a Parhelia - already the base system approaches £2000 including tax and a warantee.

Maybe I should write to them to explain that Matrox has been doing this for years, with one graphics card? Or do we not care any more ?

All our new computers at work (Dell 8400s) came with passivly cooled X300s, and we added PCI X300s (also passivly cooled) for £25 each. They support 4 monitors, or two DVI screens and two analoge monitors. Works very well.

All our older computers (Dell 8200s) have Parhelias in them, and a few of them have G450 PCI cards as well. The Matrox drivers dont seem to play as nice between the P and G series as I would have expected. The G450s just display Bloomberg feeds anyway though.

I have to say the Hydravision software isnt that bad for normal users. It works, does what you want, and is stable. What more could you want?

Ali

Comment

Working...
    X