parhelia multiple desktops - how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parhelia multiple desktops - how?

I'm running a parhelia 128 8x and need to get multiple desktops working, ie little icon in the bottom corner that i click and it sets my desktop to either a new blank one or something that i set it up to be running earlier. I can remember having this working years ago but not sure what i need to get it going any more - had a quick look round the matrox site but cant find anything on it. Im running 3 screens stretched if that makes any difference.
    cheers
    will
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

I think they axed matrox multidesk, planning to bring it back.

Either older drivers or Linux that has multiple desktops built in.

Comment

i'm sure that they had a beta version of it that was released after parhelia launch - but i have almost certainly deleted it and it doesnt seem to be available for download any longer - anyone point me in the right direction here?

Comment

forget my rubbish memory - i now remember why i got rid of it in the first place - once you changed desktops it lost everything on all other desktops - if anyone is interested theres a thread running on the tech support forums:

an interesting thing to note is that this has been a reported bug for 2 YEARS and matrox still have not fixed it - and they are still advertising cards with it as a feature - you could'nt make it up.

Comment

There's also a thread on the matrox tech support forum somewhere.
          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

keiFront - using the latest version of powerdesk - would it be possible to copy over the multi-desk from some older drivers and incorporate them into the new powerdesk. The only deature i actually want is the ability to have more than one desktop.

cheers
            will

Comment

Borat, I've got no idea I'm not using my Parhelia anymore just give it a try maybe it works.
              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I found this to be unstable even in the G200/G400 period (loosing other desktops). Hopefully Vista will come up with some OS level implementation.

Comment

I had a problem with MultiDesk early on (after getting my Parhelia). Some programs that had been running before I started got lost when I decided to stop running it, or something like that. They may have been older programs, possibly even 16-bit or early Windows 95 era.

I haven't tried it since then, because I actually lost work when MD got borked.

Personally, I wouldn't trust it.

I'm running Windows 2000 and triple monitors, if that helps.

- Steve

Comment

Matrox can never fire Haig because he'd be the perfect chief witness in a class action lawsuit against them.

They've broken so many promises over the years. I feel so bad for him on stuff like this because he has to support the community while the marketing team dreams up more features that they never intend to implement/debug.

Well, I guess he’s got job security.
                    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Hehe I found the thread on matrox's own forum: http://forum.matrox.com/mga/viewtopi...ight=multidesk there should be some other threads aswell about the problem.

Comment

they have been working on the 'ne' standalone multidesk for 2 years now. It's going to be pretty interesting to see what sort of app they have come up with given the developement time. in fact why not just make the darn thing open source - its not as if it does anything that other products on the market dont do (better?) and given the ati and nvid bundle that type of software it would actually be a benefit to M. as lennon once wrote "living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see"

Comment

Or maybe as the Depeche Mode song goes: Dream on.

Comment

Working...
                          X