Milky Way mapped from above....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milky Way mapped from above....

Recent mapping shows the central portion of our Milky Way galaxy is not circular or even elliptical; we live in a BARRED galaxy!

Not only that, but the bar is some 27,000 light year long and lays at an angle of 45 degrees to the main plane of the galaxy proper.

There is also a supermassive black hole near the center of approximately 2.6 million solar masses.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 August 2005, 07:51.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Neeto!
    Links?
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Astronomers have learned that the center of our Milky Way galaxy harbors a long-sought black hole. But the finding has raised even more questions than before.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

any ideas about something happening this week with the stars? mom keeps telling me to look it up, but im not sure where to start as she has no idea whats taking place.
        www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

There is the Perseid meteor shower that started last week and lasts for about two weeks, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if you can still see it.
          “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
            There is the Perseid meteor shower that started last week and lasts for about two weeks, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if you can still see it.
            Got a good view of it Friday night, from a low-light-pollution 8500 ft. Gorgeous.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah, got a decent peek Friday as well, though there was too much light in the surrounding area to call it a good view.
              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Milky Way from above? Here you go ...

"Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Originally posted by Rakido
                  Milky Way from above? Here you go ...

LOL, that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X