Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logitech Gamer Mice and Keyboards

I like new toys!

Logitech has released a series of gaming mice and a keyboard.

Mice: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...S/EN,crid=2463

Keyboard: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10717

The mice all sports 1600 or 2000 dpi and "full-speed USB" drivers. I.E. they stole a page from Boomslang's book and wrote their own USB interface, ala SetPoint (which actually works I might add). The most expensive of the mice, the G7, is wireless @ 2.4 GHz (and supposed to offer "wired performance"at 500 reports per second), 2000 dpi,6.4 MegaPixel laser light engine, two Li Ion battery packs (no more setting the mouse on a charging station, the batteries charge on the station and then you swap batteries when one runs down), battery level indicator, big ass Polytetrafluoroethylene (I love copy/paste) feet for smooth movement, and an option to change mouse sensitivity in game. Not a bad list of features ... except the $99 USD price tag.

The G5 is the G7 with a cord ... and obvioulsy sans the cordless features, plus the stangest feature of all ... weights. Yes, weights. You can add weights to your mouse to make it weigh whatever you want Now that's Cool! And it can be yours for only $70 USD MSRP.

The MX518 is wired, sans several features of the G5, only $50, and 1600 DPI.

The G15 keybaord has 18 "G" keys, or gamer macro keys (i.e. programmable repetative functions for MMOGs that will run with a single keystroke), backlit lettering (no OLED goodness, I'm sure that will come out in a future model), a pop-up LCD display that can show game stats, media control functions, et cetera, et cetera... $80 USD.

Time to wait for reviews

PS - I figured out why they include two batteries with the G7. Apparently sleep mode has been completely disabled on the G5/7 mice. This means the mouse is in an "always on" state, so you have to change the battery ever 2-3 days or so. This eliminates the delay that most wireless (and some non-wireless) mice have when you put the mouse at rest for a few seconds in game.

They've also eliminated the problem with carrying around a huge charging station when you go LANing by putting the actual transceiver device into portable USB box about the size of a USB flash/jump drive. So you can just charge up two batteries, grab the USB transceiver and mouse and leave the bulky charging station at home. When at home the transceiver plug into the base/charging station. Very well thought gaming mouse if you ask me

Jammrock
    Last edited by Jammrock; 12 August 2005, 22:09.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Logitech - great hardware.

What they don't tell you in these press releases is that it comes with "Mouseware: Gaming Edition", which will corrupt your C: drive, rendering those World of Warcraft savegames of yours pretty much useless.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
      Logitech - great hardware.

What they don't tell you in these press releases is that it comes with "Mouseware: Gaming Edition", which will corrupt your C: drive, rendering those World of Warcraft savegames of yours pretty much useless.
      You mean SetPoint? I've been using SetPoint since the MX1000 came out and never had a problem with it. MouseWare is only used for regular Logitech mice these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
        You mean SetPoint? I've been using SetPoint since the MX1000 came out and never had a problem with it. MouseWare is only used for regular Logitech mice these days.
        I know. I'm being fatalistic. Logitech is fundamentally incapable of writing drivers that don't screw up your system.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

hmmm...I haven't had problems with their drivers for a few years now. They used to be really bad, but they've improved over the years. I love the hardware though. I really want to buy one of their new remotes. I here nothing but good things about them except for the 880.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I love my mx518. I knew they must have been up to something when the mx518 and mx1000 were dropping in price. The G5 looks like, with its fancy tilt wheel 'n' all, but I'm fine for now
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I the new mice models had two thumb buttons, I might have bought one.

Comment

Wow, I totally missed that one. Where did the forward button go?
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                  Wow, I totally missed that one. Where did the forward button go?
                  They must have figured having more than one button for the thumb was too difficult to control during gaming? Dunno. I only use back on the mouse anyway, and mouse gestures for everything else when I'm surfing, so it's no loss for me.

Jammrock

Comment

excellent, I'll buy the G5 since its corded, I'm still not too fond of cordless due to the delay, even though it's a very small delay, it's enough to be annoying.
                    Don't know about the G7 though, I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the info

Regards,
                    Elie

Comment

2000dpi and laser must be quite the experience
                      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

A one-year warrranty on an $80 keyboard? Sounds like Logitech doesn't have much faith in its quality.

Comment

i bet they offer extended warranty for more $$ though

otherwise yeah, 1 year seems kinda low, not sure what warranty on other keyboards is like, but still, thats low
                          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Nice mice...but.......
                            Looks like Logitch thinks all gamers are right handed?
                            Where is the version that fits both hands?
                            ASUS P5B-E ;2GB G.Skill DDR2 Ram; C2D6420;lub 3D X1950pro ;SoundBlaster X-Fi;WinXP

Comment

Buy it from Best Buy and get the 3 yr warranty for $10. You get to replace it, no questions asked. If they don't have your model, you can upgrade.
                              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X