USB drives loading in WinXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB drives loading in WinXP

Does anyone know what gets loaded (drivers, processes, ...) when a USB flash drive is inserted? We are having serious issues in the computer lab right now and trying to track down the problem.

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

they should load automatically. If not then there is something wrong with the XP install.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Uhh... there MIGHT be a file that loads. Hold on, lemme check.

The "USB Mass Storage Device" driver loads, which is:

USBSTOR.SYS

But otherwise, nothing. Sorry!
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah I was wondering what gets automatically loaded. I'm looking for a conflict with something else when Windows does whatever it does when a USB drive is inserted.
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

...is usbmon.dll part of this function???

cc

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky Cheese
            ...is usbmon.dll part of this function???

cc
            USBMON.DLL sounds like some filter that is installed by a particular chipset, and is probably unncessary. Or it could be the USB 2.0 filter driver for a non-SP2 system...
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

you could give SourceUSB a try, maybe it has some valuable information for you:

http://www.sourcequest.com/

Here are some feature highlights of SourceUSB 1.10:

Systems and Devices
              Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server
              USB 1.x and 2.0, host controllers, hubs, and devices

Intuitive User Interface
              Familiar Visual Studio-like application
              Simple installation and uninstall
              Auto-refreshed device tree has devices, stacks, and drivers views
              Real-time log view displays time-stamped I/O requests and events; separate records are created for request initiation and completion
              Details Pane displays particulars for a selected log record: including URB fields, descriptors, setup packets, etc.
              Data Bar displays buffer contents for control, bulk, interrupt, and isochronous transfers.
              Searching and Filtering of a captured log by a combination of I/O request types, status, and state

Logged I/O Requests and Events
              All USB Request Blocks (URBs)
              All Hub and HID class specific requests
              All USB internal ioctls
              User-mode ioctls for host controllers, hubs, and HID devices
              All Power Irps and PnP Start and Remove events

Logging Control
              Trace Irps and URBs at any level in the USB driver stacks from host controller to target device
              Logging can be enabled per device, per driver, or per device object using the device tree view
              Auto-enabled logging for newly arrived (hot-plugged) devices<
              User-mode ioctls for host controllers, hubs, and HID devices
              Boot-time logging
              Logs are captured to a binary file which can be saved for later viewing
              Filters can be applied when capturing to reduce the amount of data collected
              Maximum log file sizes of 50 and 100 Mbytes have been added

Exported Reports
              All or range of log records exported as XML file (with schema and sample XSL)
              Device report for items checked in DeviceTree exported as XML file (with schema and sample XSL)
              "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Apparently the problem was with Ghost Console client.

Comment

Working...
                X