Makeboot CD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makeboot CD?

Anyone know if you can put the contents of the 4 Win2K setup discs on a bootable CD? Got a link to an ISO of same?

Trying to break the floppy habit, but since the wife won't use anything but Win2K I'm stuck playing with the d**n things on her system.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

http://www.thetechguide.com/win2kbootcd/ should do what you want
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I've been floppy free for a while now
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
        I've been floppy free for a while now
        are we boasting again Paddy!

Comment

nice.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

What's wrong with Win2k original bootable CD?

I have never required Floppy to install an OS since 98:
            - 98 install from CD or run DOS from CD in order to partition/format.
            - NT4.0 boot from 98 CD, coppy files to disk, install from disk (didn't have NT bootable CD)
            - 2k/XP - boot straight from CD
            - Linux - boot from CD, I used floppy to transfer Linux image to file on C: in order to use NT boot loader but I might as well use network share, CDRW or FAT32 partition.

You don't need floppies to install Win2k and like with XP you can slipstream servicepack and drivers.

Comment

not all cd-rom drives are bootable with the bootable CDs, that is prolly what Doc is up against
              Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

The Best guide I have found for this is at Tacktech and overview of the articles are listed here.

Very concise, accurate and more importantly, completely functional!
                Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

What Doc needs is just a bootable CD with the contents of the 4 floppy set on it so he can do run the ****ing repair console without having to ***k around waiting for the g*dd***ed floppy's to load

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It's not as simple as dumping all four floppies into the same directory and burning them as a bootable image, Doc....

You need to make a bootable CD using one of those guides because the BootCD uses a very small bootloader image from which to kick off the setup/recovery process...All the same files as the floppies are used, just executed in a different way.
                    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Umm... but you can run the repair console from the original Win2k disc.

Also, if the original Win2k disc doesn't boot... then neither will a disc you make using the bootable floppies.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

I have the makedisc files on the Win2K CD, but the disc isn't bootable because it's an upgrade disc.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                          I have the makedisc files on the Win2K CD, but the disc isn't bootable because it's an upgrade disc.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Ohh! Err, well the QUICKEST way would be to ask someone on here who happens to HAVE a non-upgrade Win2k disc to just send you a copy. Without serial numbers, it's useless ... except to repair stuff.

Y'know, just ask nicely in a PM or something. Offer the person a buck for postage.
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                            What Doc needs is just a bootable CD with the contents of the 4 floppy set on it so he can do run the ****ing repair console without having to ***k around waiting for the g*dd***ed floppy's to load

Dr. Mordrid
                            Have you tried installing the recovery console on the hard drive and running it from there?

Comment

Working...
                            X