Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVI to HDMI

Hello,

My brother is about to purchase a laptop (probabely some Fujitsu Amilo model). The laptop has DVI-I and offers 2 display options for its LCD: 1440x900 or 1920x1200. The later states HDTV1080 compliance. The videocard is a GeForce Go6800 (256 MB DDR1 external Video RAM).

So it got me wondering:

Is it possible to connect a DVI to HDMI cable and get HDTV via the DVI output?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I know it's possible to get DVI out of a HDMI cable as my TV is HDMI HD compatible yet only has a DVI port. I presume that the reverse will be true, albeit without any sound.

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Sound isn't a problem: the laptop has an spdif out, and his home cinema amplifier has an spdif in. So sound would have to go another device anyway.

The cables exists, i.e. : http://www.bettercables.com/dvihdmicables.html

But should the video card be capable of anything special, or is 1080 HDTV just a specific resolution you need to set?

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
        But should the video card be capable of anything special, or is 1080 HDTV just a specific resolution you need to set?
        No ideas on this matter?

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

HDMI is based on the DVI standard, so DVI is a fully subset of the HDMI functionset. So HDMI is able to display any DVI-Signal. DVI->HDMI is no Problem.

But if you have an HDMI-Output and a DVI-Input, you may have Problems. Since HDMI is a Superset of DVI, DVI has not all the functionset of HDMI and cannot handle everything that HDMI delivers.

I only found a German FAQ

DC

Comment

Oh, so any card that has a DVI connector can be used to drive a HDTV (via HDMI) ?
            Cool...

Jörg
            Last edited by VJ; 9 August 2005, 02:26.
            pixar

Comment

Yes and No ...

the DVI is compatible to HDMI but that means not that every Graphiccard with DVI can drive a HDTV.

Example: You have a HDTV with 1080p resolution and a video in 1920x1080. Your Graphiccard is maybe a G550 which can only display 1280x1024 pix. via DVI.

You see the Problem ... technically the HDMI can do everything DVI can do, but it is something totally different if your PC can drive the HDTV in the desired resolution.

DC

Comment

Sorry about the late reply...

Well, the graphic card can handle that resolution over DVI (another version of the laptop has an LCD with that resolution, but it has the same video card). So it should work...

Thanks!

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Working...
                X