Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driver question: Ati? Omega? Dna? Ngo? UniAn? ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver question: Ati? Omega? Dna? Ngo? UniAn? ....

Hi Folks,

Bought myself an Asus AX800, wanted to try out the Omega's but found that lots of other drivers are available too. So, has anyone experience with these different tweaked drivers for the Radeon's? Found that some people here are using the Omega drivers, but what about the others like DNA or NGO? What are the advantages of them over the original ATI's or over Omega?

Thx
    Rakido
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Ok here goes.

HISTORICALLY, ATI bungled driver updates a lot. They'd release a new driver which fixed a lot of things, but broke a whole bunch in OpenGL, for example. So a lot of people (including Omega) started remixing drivers - OpenGL from one, 3D from another, 2D from a third, video acceleration from somewhere else.

NOWADAYS, none of that happens. All of the non-ATI drivers you see are just tweaked. You could perform all the tweaks yourself with the Rage3D tweaker or one of the countless other ATI tweakers out there.

Some specifics:

Omega: Is the original ATI remixer. He also does nVidia remixes. He's on the ATI beta team, and really knows what he's doing. If you're going to get a non-ATI package, this is the one.

DNA: Written by a fellow named Killersneak. Killersneak stole Omega's code wholesale, renamed it, and released it as his DNA drivers. When he got caught doing this, he lied about it, then when faced with mounting evidence he disappeared. A few months later he reappeared claiming to have completely rewritten the drivers. Here's the problem - he CLAIMS that he REWRITES the drivers. ATI have taken action against him at least once. He claims to reverse-engineer their drivers and rewrite the DLL's. In notepad. *ahem* yeah, whatever. He's a nutbag.

The other ones? I know little about, but I suspect it's more "I prefer it this way instead of how Omega has it set".
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

thx for the info, Jason.

I found a site where they did a comparison of the last two ATI's and some of the modded drivers, you can take a look here
      http://www.whistlingcricket.com/guid...comparison&p=1

According to that the Omega's are the best overall choice.

And here's another site with a comparison (based on 5.6):
      http://www.gognet.com/index.php?view...article=25&p=1
      According to them NGO is best for benchmarking and Zeropoint for gaming ..

But i guess the Omega's are indeed the better choice.

Cya
      Rakido
      "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

beh, overall Omega is better, unless you play UT where ATi is better.

Anyway, all results fall within the error margin...I'd probably stick with Ati's...

Comment

Working...
        X