Stealth! Now with correct spelling... :p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealth! Now with correct spelling... :p

I've noticed a disturbing trend in the movies that have came out recently: pretty much each new movie is so horribly bad that it makes the previous bomb seem like an excellent movie! The plagiaristic Island made the Fantastic Fork seem like a blockbuster, and now Stealth makes The Island feel like a thought provoking creative masterpiece...

Worst part about this *beep* is that these movie bombs hurt us (theaters) far worse than the studios.

Stealth currently has a 10% fresh at Rotten Tomatoes. That's does not bode well for this special effects fest...

This got me thinking, what really good movies have come out this summer? My wife and I tried to go to the movies before my mother-in-law left, but we couldn't find a single movie we wanted to see, except Batman Begins. Are there any other good movies out besides Batman Begins?
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The problem is that people still go and watch them anyways! It doesn't matter to the studios if the movie sucks monkey nuts as long as they make money off of it. So if people hear a movie is crap but then say, "I want to see it anyways," and do so that first week, then nothing will ever change.

Raise of hands here of who went to see Fantastic Four even though EVERYONE said it was bad.
      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Well, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory isn't bad, it's just very Tim Burton. Mr. and Mrs. Smith was marginally ok. Batman Begins of course was very good. That's it for the movies I've seen recently.

And out of those we've only got the Chocolate Factory left at this theater, the other movies we're currently suffering with are Stealth, The Island, War of the Worlds, and Wedding Crashers.

Comment

Actually, War of the Worlds wasn't so bad. Dakota Fanning is turning out to be an awesome actress.. if she can get a film that's good, she'll win an oscar. Unfortunately, with Cruise stealing the scenes and making decisions in the film that you could swear were based on his nutzoid scientology-influenced world view, it's distracting. WOTW was alright, I suppose.. pretty intense.. something good for us modern people who have been trained to have a 3 second attention span.

I would go see the Island thing just to watch Scarlett Johansson, myself.

Comment

Yeah.

It was pretty sad when my wife and I wanted to go see a movie, and the only one I could even consider was "The Incredibles". ("Lemony Snicket" seemed like a good bet, but I wasn't sure my wife would want to see it).

How many good movies can you think of from the last few years?

LOTR, Harry Potter, The Incredibles ... any others?

It's pretty sad.

- Steve

Comment

Actually.. Just about anything with Zhang Ziyi in it.. good movies coming out of China now. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was awesome. So was Hero. Looks like The House of Flying Daggers is pretty good, too (saw only previews of that one).
              Last edited by KvHagedorn; 29 July 2005, 13:51.

Comment

True. I wasn't thinking that far back - of those, I've only seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I also forgot some great ones like "Galaxy Quest" and "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind".

I'm sure we could come up with 25-50 good movies from the last 5 years, but considering that about 430 are made each year (on average), that's not a very good ratio. (many movies never get nationwide release, so we don't hear about all of them)

I suppose I was also referring to "American" / "Hollywood" movies - I think there's still creativity in the world, it just has to get past the MPAA / Hollywood moguls for anyone to see it (here).

- Steve

Comment

I didn't like Hero, I found the "message" of the movie distasteful. Loved CT,HD though.

I'm sure we could come up with 25-50 good movies from the last 5 years, but considering that about 430 are made each year (on average), that's not a very good ratio. (many movies never get nationwide release, so we don't hear about all of them)
                  I totally agree with this.

Oh, and Galaxy Quest is great too.

Comment

If we're going back into the 90s.. Amelie, LA Confidential, Ronin, The Score, the Usual Suspects, A Beautiful Mind, American Beauty, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.. I know there are others

Comment

Working...
                    X